Default What is Unauthorized Practice of Law

Why is the law profession so adamant about calling everything UPL. I mean that if a individual wants to represent himself he is prevented from getting advice about his situation or assistance from anyone, basically he finds himself isolated- he is forced into hiring an attorney or doing nothing if he can not afford the fees that are charged for assistance.

Default Re: Why is access being denied

many statutes and rules of procedure are available online. for free even.

many public libraries have access to Lexis and Westlaw available.

then there are forums such as this one.the information is out there.

Quote Quoting Jack_Lewis
    View Post
    Why is the law profession so adamant about calling everything UPL. I mean that if a individual wants to represent himself he is prevented from getting advice about his situation or assistance from anyone, basically he finds himself isolated- he is forced into hiring an attorney or doing nothing if he can not afford the fees that are charged for assistance.
    I don't know what UPL means, but you can get advice from anyone who can or will give it to you.

Nothing is being restricted.

UPL = Unlicensed Practice of Law.

Quote Quoting GreatGadsby
    View Post
    UPL = Unlicensed Practice of Law.
    I thought it mean Unlimited Power Line.

Quote Quoting Jack_Lewis
    View Post
    Do you have a specific complaint, or are you bitching in general?

I would be inclined to agree with the OP, that UPL standards are far too easy to meet. I think it should be covered by freedom of speech and if the asker is too stupid to double check the information and gets screwed, then it's their own fault.

but the information is available for the average person to obtain, quite often free of charge, it just requires some effort on their part.

Quote Quoting GreatGadsby
    View Post
    I would be inclined to agree with the OP, that UPL standards are far too easy to meet. I think it should be covered by freedom of speech and if the asker is too stupid to double check the information and gets screwed, then it's their own fault.

but the information is available for the average person to obtain, quite often free of charge, it just requires some effort on their part.
    You stumbled on the answer: it just requires some effort on their part.

While grammatically incorrect, it is indeed accurate. In this day of "instant" everything, the one thing people will not do is take the time to handle their own affairs. All that is required of a person is the investment of a little of his time. However, most have become accustomed to having all work provided for them.

On a side note, interestingly enough Louisiana has civil law notaries who prepare documents for clients. Examples of these documents are notarial adoptions (these do not need judicial approval), testaments, acts of mandate, letters of procuration, real estate conveyances, etc. What would be UPL in all the other states is practice of notary in Louisiana.

1. Sponsored Links