Default Is a Driver Liable for Lane Closure and Inspection Costs After a Traffic Accident

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Florida

My husband was involved in a single-vehicle motorcycle accident on I-75 in Florida. He received a bill from a company for almost $2000 for lane closure and road inspection on the day of his accident. We had the company submit this to his moto insurance, but they denied it stating that there was no property damage and therefore no benefit would be paid.

This company is coming after my husband for nearly $2000 after he almost died! He does not even remember that day. They are threatening his license if he does not pay.

How can someone be in an accident that was not his fault (tire blowout was the reason) and then get stuck with a $2000 bill for NO PROPERTY DAMAGES? Is this legal? Shouldn't tax monies be used to pay for road inspections and lane closures, etc. during accidents and not the victims themselves?

Default Re: Is a Driver Liable for Lane Closure and Inspection Costs After a Traffic Accident

What company is this, what legal basis are they providing for their claim and, when you say:
    Quote Quoting edge907
    View Post
    This company is coming after my husband....
    Do you mean that they are continuing to bill him, or that they have sued him?

Default Re: Is a Driver Liable for Lane Closure and Inspection Costs After a Traffic Accident

Continuing to bill, threatening to sue and suspend his license. I have called to complain and they pretty much say "oh well" and sent a payment agreement for us to sign, written in legal language. Wanted to get a legal opinion first before we commit to anything.

I can't find any authority for a private company to have a license suspended in FL. Nor can I find anything about lane closures and inspections being billed. I just can't find anything about either.

What is the name of the company and what county did it happen in? Is this a towing company by chance?

Company is DBi Services, LCC. Accident took place near Lake City, Florida.

The actual verbiage in the DBi letter states: "DBiS is under contract to the Florida Department of Transportation to manage the maintenance and operation of certain highways in the State of Florida, including the portion on which your accident occurred."

The threatening letter is from collection agency Powell, Rogers & Speaks: "We must inform you that most states have laws that allow us to request the suspension of your driving privileges until this bill is paid and we are prepared to pursue this right unless you pay this amount due..."

Not sure if it's relevant, but we do not live in Florida. We live in Georgia and my husband is licensed in Georgia.

The breakdown of charges is: $450 (Accident Service Call), $130 (Damage Inspection Truck), $135 (Damage Inspection Personnel), $1200 (Lane Closure)

Again I ask, how is this my husband's responsibility or liability??

Quote Quoting edge907
    View Post
    Company is DBi Services, LCC. Accident took place near Lake City, Florida.

The actual verbiage in the DBi letter states: "DBiS is under contract to the Florida Department of Transportation to manage the maintenance and operation of certain highways in the State of Florida, including the portion on which your accident occurred."

The threatening letter is from collection agency Powell, Rogers & Speaks: "We must inform you that most states have laws that allow us to request the suspension of your driving privileges until this bill is paid and we are prepared to pursue this right unless you pay this amount due..."

Not sure if it's relevant, but we do not live in Florida. We live in Georgia and my husband is licensed in Georgia.

The breakdown of charges is: $450 (Accident Service Call), $130 (Damage Inspection Truck), $135 (Damage Inspection Personnel), $1200 (Lane Closure)

Again I ask, how is this my husband's responsibility or liability??
    That company does have many contracts with FDOT but all that I looked at are for highway improvements and maintenance.

However, the letter says that most states have laws that allow them to request the suspension. They don't say that FL has such laws so I'm skeptical because, as I said, I couldn't find any authority for it. Maybe another member can. Let's wait and see.

Did your husband sign anything at the scene of the accident?

Thanks for your feedback.

No. My husband was air lifted, so he had no capacity to sign anything.

I've been doing some research also and found that there are some forums claiming that Powell, Rogers and Speaks are scammers.

I hope someone can chime in and tell me if private citizen billing like this is legal. I will have my husband hold off on signing anything until we find out.

Your husband should respond in writing saying that he did not sign any contract agreeing to pay fees and he wants to know where the authority comes from for them to bill him and not the FDOT for their services. You should also educate yourself on the Fair Debt Credit Collection Practices Act.

1. Sponsored Links