Default No Parking Signs Were Not Posted 24 Hours Prior

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California

I didn't get a ticket, but this situation has me so riled up. I work the graveyard shift (11pm - 8am) Downtown LA off Olive and 6th st. Meters are free after 8pm, so that's usually where I park. Last night coming into work, I noticed there were orange cones blocking all the parking (metered and zoned) off. I didn't see any "No Parking between the hours of ...." signs posted on any of the trees or lamp post along the streets. When I tried parking between one of the cones at the meter, a guy in a crappy SUV got out and told me I couldn't park there. I asked why and he stated production was going to be filming the next morning. I got on the phone with Parking Enforcement and explained the situation to them. They informed me that if there are no signs posted, I have every right to park at the meter. Even if they have permits, if there are no signs posted I can park.

I informed the guy and told him I'm moving one of their cones and parking at the meter. A few hours go b and I decided to go back outside to check my car at 6am. Sure enough, I saw production trucks beginning to park on the street and they posted "No Parking from 7am to 6pm Thursday" signs on the posts and trees. This pissed me off. Only because I know that if parking enforcement were to come by, I could be ticketed or towed even though they did not post the signs at least 24 hours prior like they are required to. I decided to move my car knowing I would probably forget to head back out there at 7am.

How is it they can get away with this? Would I have gotten a ticket or towed if I let my car remain until 8am? BTW, I did take pictures of the trees and lamp posts all down the street where they was absolutely no signage.

Default Re: No Parking Signs Were Not Posted 24 Hours Prior

It's possible that the parking enforcement folks would have noted the discrepancy and refused to enforce the tardily posted signs. You can't really take much legal standing on what "might have happened" if you had been ticketed or towed. You can certainly make formal complaints to the parking enforcement and whoever issues these "permits" about them not following procedures. Unlikely they'll get sanctioned for this but it may cause the authorities to be get them to behave in the future.

Default Re: No Parking Signs Were Not Posted 24 Hours Prior

Thank you for your reply. I just hate having to feel helpless when it comes to parking rules and regulations.

1. Sponsored Links