Default Immigrant got ticket after overstaying visa

hi,

a little advice, please: my husband (came to US on visa in 2000, overstayed, we married in may 05, have paperwork for adjustment of status and all that in the hands of our lawyer, about to be filed) was given a ticket by a police officer for being an unlicensed driver, and has to go to court. this is not the first time he has gotten such a ticket (seems like everyone he knows has gotten it at one time or another), and had before been able to present his D.L. from his home country (with a notarized translation that he carries with him always), pay a fine, and go on his way. now that we're married, of course, i am more worried. we've been told that a judge has 'the right' or whatever to contact INS if he knows someone is here illegally: true or not? can anything--like, god forbid, deportation--happen to him? if the topic of his status comes up, is it worth mentioning that we have applied for his change of status?

i have found out in the time that i've known him how astoundingly weird 'the system' in this country is to illegal aliens (they can't work, but they can file tax returns? what's that about?), but i still fear that deportation awaits him around every turn. other than overstaying his visa, my husband is as law-abiding as he can be in his situation, is hardworking and honest, tries to do things the right way...and we'd like to make a life together in this country. just thought i'd throw that in because i'm in love and i'm nervous, so sue me. ha, ha, ha.

thanks in advance...

Default Illegal Immigrant, Marriage, & Traffic Offense

Unfortunately, I can't provide any certain answers as to what the judge may or may not do. I could only guess. Your lawyer may be able to give you a better estimate of what might happen.

1. Sponsored Links