Default Should a Child Get a Written Agreement to be an Elderly Parent's Caregiver

My question involves a person located in the state of: texas

Recently relocated to help care for elderly father with dementia with goal to keep him in the home as long as possible. Am living in home with Dad and his 2nd wife who is also recovering from a recent illness and needs help. I have no formal written agreement with them regarding my living with them and what is expected of me, just verbal understanding. Do I need to have a written agreement drawn up? If so what does it need to include and is there legal service help for this? I left my job and career to relocate to help and have no budget for such an expense.

Default Re: Should a Child Get a Written Agreement to be an Elderly Parent's Caregiver

By your description, the father is not mentally competent and cannot enter into any legally binding agreements. Assuming that she is competent, it is not clear what commitments you want from his wife, or whether she would be willing to make the commitments you want.

You're unlikely to find somebody who is willing to draft a custom agreement for you to serve as caregiver, and even if you were to find such a service the wife should have independent legal counsel review it and advise her before she agrees to anything.

1. Sponsored Links