Default Three Months Residency Requirement for Filing Form N400

One of the Eligibility requirement before applying for N400 is 'Have lived within the state, or USCIS district with jurisdiction over the applicantís place of residence, for at least 3 months prior to the date of filing the application.'
    What does 'lived' mean? Does it mean that the applicant has dwelled at the residence for 3 months OR has maintained the residence for 3 months?

My scenario: I have lived at my current residence for 8 months. And plan to live there for atleast another year. I am eligible to file N400 after 2 months (60 days) on 2/29/17. But I might have to travel overseas for 3 weeks during January 2017. So I will not be physically present at my residence during my travel. 1) Can I file N400 on 2/29/2017 after my return, or 2) do I have to wait for another 3 months after my return (to fulfill the 3 months 'live' requirement) before filing N400? Please advise.

Default Re: Three Months Residency Requirement for Filing Form N400

The requirement relates to your place of legal residence, not your physical presence. A trip abroad does not change your local residency unless it also rises to the level of canceling your U.S. residency. If you return from a three-week trip to the same residence you have established as your home, at which you have lived for approaching a year, then the trip doesn't change your place of residence. If you return from the trip and move to a different home in a new state, then the three months starts from when you establish residency in your new home.

Default Re: Three Months Residency Requirement for Filing Form N400

Great; Thanks!

1. Sponsored Links