Default Will Your Insurance Cover an Accident You're In While Driving on a Suspended License

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Iowa
    I hit a deer and totaled my car. There was an accident report filled and the officer did not say anything about me having a suspended license. I knew I had a couple unpaid speeding tickets but I hadn't received notification of a suspended license. I looked online after the accident and my license is suspended. I did pay the tickets and I'm going to work to get my license reinstated today. I did have insurance at the time of the accident. My question is will the insurance cover me since I did have insurance at the time of the accident?

Default Re: Will Your Insurance Cover an Accident You're In While Driving on a Suspended Lice

Obviously it depends on the terms of the policy (contract). However, I'm not aware of a policy that does not exclude coverage if the vehicle is operated by someone not legally privileged to drive it. However, such an exclusion would likely only apply if you had knowledge of the suspension. If you had not yet received notice then I would expect they would have to pay, but again, read your policy.

Default Re: Will Your Insurance Cover an Accident You're In While Driving on a Suspended Lice

Quote Quoting Suerupe
    View Post
    I hit a deer and totaled my car. There was an accident report filled and the officer did not say anything about me having a suspended license. I knew I had a couple unpaid speeding tickets but I hadn't received notification of a suspended license. I looked online after the accident and my license is suspended. I did pay the tickets and I'm going to work to get my license reinstated today. I did have insurance at the time of the accident. My question is will the insurance cover me since I did have insurance at the time of the accident?
    The DMV would have mailed you notice of the suspension. This then raises the question: why didn’t you get a notice? Did you perhaps move and not update your address with the DMV as you are required to do? Read your policy carefully, but if the reason you didn’t know about it was that you didn’t keep your address current with DMV, that might work against you.

Quote Quoting Suerupe
    View Post
    You're going to have to read your policy to answer that question.

Look for two things.

1 - A provision allowing cancellation upon notice of a suspended license.

2 - A provision addressing misrepresentation and/or concealment and/or fraud.

Depending on how those sections are worded, it could go either way.

All I can suggest is that you make your claim on your policy and see how it goes.

1. Sponsored Links