Default How to File a DBA in California

My question involves business law in the state of: California (Alameda County)

What form do I use to file a DBA? Do I need to go to county clerk's office or go thru the State?

After getting my business name? Im assuming I need to get a city business license and EIN from the IRS. Any other steps I'm missing? Can I use the word "Inc." like "Bobs Repairs Inc" for a sole proprietorship

I want to start a sole proprietorship (consulting).

Thank you.

Default Re: How to File a DBA in California

Quote Quoting weedkill3
    View Post
    What form do I use to file a DBA? Do I need to go to county clerk's office or go thru the State?
    You follow these instructions.
    Quote Quoting weedkill3
    Any other steps I'm missing?
    Could be, but we know nothing about your business plan.
    Quote Quoting weedkill3
    Can I use the word "Inc." like "Bobs Repairs Inc" for a sole proprietorship
    No, absolutely not. You cannot suggest that your unincorporated business is a corporation.

Quote Quoting weedkill3
    View Post
    Im assuming I need to get a city business license and EIN from the IRS.
    Not knowing in what cities you will conduct business and what kind of business it will be no one here can say if any of the cities will require you to have a license. If this business is sole proprietorship and if you do not have employees working for you then you likely do not need an EIN from the IRS. But the details do matter. What it boils down to is that you only are required to have an EIN if your business needs to file a federal tax return. As a sole proprietor, you declare the income from your business on your personal income tax return (Form 1010) so no EIN is needed for that. If you have employees, though, you need to file federal employment and unemployment tax returns and that would require a EIN. If your business has to pay any federal excise tax then you need an EIN to file the excise tax returns. If you will maintain certain qualified retirement plans for the business, you will need an EIN to file information returns for those plans.

If you are subject to California state sales tax or other California state or local taxes you may need one or more tax identification numbers and/or licenses for that.

I strongly recommend that you consult a business attorney and a tax attorney or other tax professional to help you get the business set up properly. The fees you pay for that advice will be tax deductible or amortizable for the business and can save you lot more money and grief down the road over what might happen if you just wing it yourself and end up getting it wrong.

Thank you. Taxing matters , I think you meant 1040, not 1010, hee hee.

1. Sponsored Links