Default Payed Off Vehicle from Private Seller, and Now the Seller Say's Title is Pawned

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Texas

I bought a truck from a private seller. The total price to pay was $10,500. The seller agreed to take $8000 as a down payment and also agreed to a $200 monthly payment to pay off the truck. When I made the last payment I told the seller to send me the title (the seller and I live like 4 hours away from each other). The next day she calls me and tells me that the tile was pawned at a tile company and that she was going to need time to pay off the loan since the loan amount was $4800.

I have been in contact with the seller after that and every time I call or text her to ask about the status of the title she is very disrespectful, it seems like she believes she is the victim.: confused: I called her a couple of days ago and asked her for the company name where the tile is pawned, date of payment and payment amount and she told me she would send me proof the following day. I asked for this information because I wanted to know if the pawned title situation was true or not and also in someway cover my bases. Well, yesterday the seller deactivated her face book where we would exchange messages and her cell phone goes straight to voicemail.

On top of all this, the seller also told me that the truck is under her mother's name and that it was her mother who pawned the title without letting her know. This has gotten out of control. I have tried working with this person but she seems to not care. What can I do? What if the payments are not being made? I want to do the right thing!

Default Re: Payed Off Vehicle from Private Seller, and Now the Seller Say's Title is Pawned

Let's see.... big mistakes you shouldn't make when buying a car... yep, there it is, "Not Immediately Transferring Title". As is, "Buying a Vehicle from Somebody Other Than the Title Owner".

Okay, so the person who "sold" you the car didn't actually own it and can't give you title. Ask her for a refund, or to complete the transfer of title. If she cannot or will not do one or the other, sue her. You can sue for up to $10,000 in a Justice of the Peace (small claims) court. Of course, even if you get a judgment, we can't promise that it will be at all easy to collect the money.

Default Re: Payed Off Vehicle from Private Seller, and Now the Seller Say's Title is Pawned

Quote Quoting ternyhappy1
    View Post

On top of all this, the seller also told me that the truck is under her mother's name and that it was her mother who pawned the title without letting her know. This has gotten out of control. I have tried working with this person but she seems to not care. What can I do? What if the payments are not being made? I want to do the right thing!
    Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Of course, even if you get a judgment, we can't promise that it will be at all easy to collect the money.
    We CAN promise that you'll probably never see a nickel from the crook.

For the moment I suggest you visit the DMV and see if you qualify to post a bond to get a title.

See:

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/texas...ess-13055.html

http://www.texasbondedtitles.com/files/VTR-130-SOF.pdf

Unfortunately, if the DMV has a record of the lien, you might be completely screwed.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    We CAN promise that you'll probably never see a nickel from the crook.

For the moment I suggest you visit the DMV and see if you qualify to post a bond to get a title.

See:

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/texas...ess-13055.html

http://www.texasbondedtitles.com/files/VTR-130-SOF.pdf

Unfortunately, if the DMV has a record of the lien, you might be completely screwed.
    Not entirely screwed, because the DMV would have the information as to who was on the title and as to who has the lien. That would be valuable information.

1. Sponsored Links