Default Ex-Boyfriend Refuses to Return a Car Title That is Completely in My Name

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Colorado/California

Hi!
    I recently escaped an abusive relationship of 2 years, and ended up leaving the state of Colorado where my abuser and I lived and returned home to my family in California. Due to the circumstances in which I left, it was not safe at the time to retrieve all of my belongings, including personal paperwork such as my birth certificate and title to my car that his mother had been holding onto for me. I am at the point where I need to get a different car, but cannot do so because his mother has the title to my car in her possession. The title is completely in my name as I bought it before I met him, he is not listed on there whatsoever. I have been messaging and calling to see if they will return it either by mail (to my moms address as to not give them my address directly) or by giving it to a friend who will mail it to me. They have either responded with a flat-out, "No," or by just ignoring me all together. My abuser has gone out of his way to make my life a living hell when all I want to do is move forward with my life. Is there any legal action I may be able to take with this? Is there anything I can do? Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

Default Re: Ex-Boyfriend Refuses to Return Title That is Completely in My Name

Should be able to get a replacement title at the DMV, not sure what the charge for that would be. Normally need to show ID and sometimes registration info etc.

1. Sponsored Links