Hybrid View

Default How to Stop Continuances of a Criminal Case

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Nebraska

Has anyone had experience with the constant continuation of a trial? My ex's trial got pushed to February and was supposed to be Dec. This is the third time. First it was Aug but his lawyer said he didn't have enough time to talk to him about the case. Then it was Oct. That got pushed to Dec because he had a sanction on his probation and had to do 21 days. He didn't even tell me it got pushed I looked on the court calendar.

My only concern is I was the moron who bailed him out back in March and I should have (hindsight is 20/20) left his dumbass in there. Is it usual to get so many? My thought is his probation ends in Feb from a different case out of state so maybe his lawyer got it continued for that somehow? I don't know he hasn't answered me and if he doesn't I'll see what the county attorney can tell me. I just want it done and get that money back. I knew it was stupid - I tell myself that every day. I told myself it was stupid the day I did it. He had been sober, functioning like an adult, working, paying child support and bills, going to meetings and so on. I did not think he would relapse the night I bailed him out.

Lesson learned for anyone else thinking of bailing someone out - don't do it. No matter the crime. Let them sit.

Default Re: Constant Continuances

Until the state protests the delays, he's likely to get them. Despite your pecuniary interest in this, you have no standing to move things along.

I didn't title it that way. The admins changed. I in no way think I can stop this. I just wondered how common it is. By Feb it will be a year almost since he got arrested. He finally got back and said the DNA "people" couldn't do it in Dec. He didn't know when it had got moved to but knew it had. I guess that's the way it goes. I hope this is the last time they continue it. I suppose it may have been the state this time that did it if it has to do with the DNA but who knows?

It's not uncommon. Lawyers have lots of cases and they get moved around to suit them usually without issue. If the person is in custody and can't conveniently be produced, that's another good reason. I can't tell you the number of times I've been in court and the defendant is absent and the judge turns and says "is he in jail? Did anybody check the jail" and continue things right there.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    It's not uncommon. Lawyers have lots of cases and they get moved around to suit them usually without issue. If the person is in custody and can't conveniently be produced, that's another good reason. I can't tell you the number of times I've been in court and the defendant is absent and the judge turns and says "is he in jail? Did anybody check the jail" and continue things right there.
    I guess this time was due to what sounds like someone's expert couldn't make it next month. That makes sense. I should have just left his ass in jail...stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

1. Sponsored Links