Default Can an Insurance Company Cancel Your Policy During an Active Claim Dispute

Hi, I need advice (a UK based issue). My insurance company has stalled on paying out for a claim for two years and now I have bought in a loss assessor, the insurance just company sent me a letter they are cancelling my future policy. I know the customer can cancel a policy with an active claim, but is it illegal for an insurance company to do this? The timing is incredibly suspicious. It also obviously causes a huge problem in my getting a new insurance policy - accounting there's existing property damage that the current insurance company has refused to address or fix.

Default Re: Can an Insurance Company Cancel Your Policy During an Active Claim Dispute

This is a U.S. forum. Consumer laws in the U.K. are stronger than those in the U.S., as for that matter are consumer laws throughout the western world. Over here, active claim or no, your insurance company can decide that it no longer wants your business. It won't affect past claims, but for future coverage you need to get different coverage.

Default Re: Can an Insurance Company Cancel Your Policy During an Active Claim Dispute

Quote Quoting sarahgreen
    View Post
    Hi, I need advice (a UK based issue). My insurance company has stalled on paying out for a claim for two years and now I have bought in a loss assessor, the insurance just company sent me a letter they are cancelling my future policy. I know the customer can cancel a policy with an active claim, but is it illegal for an insurance company to do this? The timing is incredibly suspicious. It also obviously causes a huge problem in my getting a new insurance policy - accounting there's existing property damage that the current insurance company has refused to address or fix.
    Can't say as I know anything about insurance in the UK but if there are any similarities to insurance in the US I can suggest the following:

1 - There may be a page or pages in your policy that address the circumstances under which your policy may be cancelled or non-renewed.

2 - There are insurance regulations or laws that may also address the issue. The UK Insurance Act of 2015 became effective August 12, 2016. I haven't read it so I don't know if any of it applies retroactively:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...0150004_en.pdf

3 - The Prudential Regulation Authority is the UK's government agency that regulates the insurance industry in case you need any assistance:

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/pra/P...insurance.aspx

4 - Property loss adjustment can't be too different from how we do it in the US so if you want to explain your claim from the beginning I may be able to give you some tips.

1. Sponsored Links