Default Can You Get Compensation for a Solar Panel Company's Mistake

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: California.

I had a contract originally for 25 solar panels. Was approved for them via outside financing and contracts where signed with the financing company and solar. After engineering consult, I could add 5 more. So I did and signed a new contract and change order. The solar company came to install after HOA approval, and just happened to only bring 25 panels and then realized I needed five more. They jerked around until finally the said they needed to cancel the original agreement and sign a new one sighting the finance company no longer just does change orders, they require a whole new contract. So they sent me a terminated agreement and as of yet have not sent me a new contract. I've missed out on using the sun's power and paying more for juice in addition I've had to pay for other things to wait until the solar is installed (some of the 25 panels are installed others are blocking my back yard access ).

The solar wants me to sign new agreement and I don't want to until they reimburse me for lost time and money and I get an actual install date. With a signed termination agreement that states the contractor owes me nothing and I owe them nothing, do they have any legal grounds should I just get someone else to finish the install and not sign a new agreement??

Options and advice would be great.
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Solar Company Screwed Up

Why do you believe you are due anything? I surely don't see it. Especially given you have no contract with apparently anybody, nobody owes you anything, including the installing of the panels.

Unless the installer and the company seling the panels are two seperate entities you can't have somebody else install the solar panels that still belong to that company.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    Why do you believe you are due anything? I surely don't see it. Especially given you have no contract with apparently anybody, nobody owes you anything, including the installing of the panels.

Unless the installer and the company seling the panels are two seperate entities you can't have somebody else install the solar panels that still belong to that company.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Some panels are installed some are sitting on ground waiting. I don't think they owe me anything since they canceled the contract and if they want to call it even, I will pay someone else to install. That being said, I've had to pay other contractors cancel fees and for higher cost in electricity. My roof has tiles missing and there has been damage to the roof. I just want to know what legal grounds they have after canceling the contract to make me pay them?

Do you own the panels, meaning did you purchase them outside of
    this contract situation? If not, they aren't your panels so you don't get to mount them.

If you accepted the termination of the originals contract and it appears you are refusing to sign a new contract, I don't even see your roof issue as one the installer would be liable for, if you incur any damage due to that as it is your fault work
    cant proceed.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    Do you own the panels, meaning did you purchase them outside of
    this contract situation? If not, they aren't your panels so you don't get to mount them.

If you accepted the termination of the originals contract and it appears you are refusing to sign a new contract, I don't even see your roof issue as one the installer would be liable for, if you incur any damage due to that as it is your fault work
    cant proceed.
    So panels are on my roof and some are in my back yard just leaning against my house. The installer terminated the contract and says I owe them nothing and they owe me nothing. The panels are not mine now? I should tell them to come and put my house back the way before they started install and take the panels?? I can't argue they gave me panels for my troubles??

You either need to decide if it is so horrible that the panels are taking up space in your yard that something must be done, or if you're going to sign your new contract with the solar company so that the panels get installed and are out of your yard. Right now you are the author of your own misery.

If you want to see if they'll cancel the contract and take the panels away, ask them.

1. Sponsored Links