Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Shoplifting at Target in Michigan

Please Help!!!
    This is a long story, but i will try and get to the point. Just over two weeks ago, my Fiance' and i took a dog that we took in from a bad home. We got ahold of a great family that wanted him in another county about an hour from where we live. We took the dog there and decided while we were there to do some shopping.(we have a baby on the way in 3 weeks).
    We went to Target and bought some things..total, about $80.00. Paid for the items with cash and left. We then went to lunch and talked about going back to get the rest of the items we needed for the baby's room. We went back and ended up buying other things as well, spending more money than we intended. We seen a crib skrit which was $16.99. We put it in our cart and continued shopping. We were looking at toys when my finace' said she didnt think we could afford it with all the other money we just spent at Target and before, earlier. I said lets think about it. When we were back by toys, she was looking at other things, and i (stupid part) put the item under my coat. My plan was to pay for everything else...about another $80.00-$100.00. get to the end of the check out and hand my fiance' the car keys and tell her to open the trunk and get in the car and i would be right back out, that i forgot something. Well, we were between the front doors and the check out line. when LP grabbed me. I tried to explain what was going on, but he didnt want to hear it. I pulled away and took off back through the store and put the item back. I walked up front and he was there waiting. Told him he never gave me a chance to explain and that i was taking my fiance' home to do whatever he wanted. He followed us to the car, took our plate number and called the police. Before we got home, OUR counties Sheriff's Dept was here asking Q&A. They said they would come back, BUT never have.(two weeks now) The Sheriff called us from the other county and talked to us for about a half hour. I want to say, "GUT", that he may have beleived me after our talk, but not sure. We then got ahold of the LP guy about 4 days later and taled to him as well. He was nice and said that because we left, he had to call the police and that it was out of his hands BUT he would call the Sheriff there and talk to him. The LP said that because of the amount, $16.99 and that the item DID NOT leave the store, he thinks nothing will happen. I have 3 fenolies in my past, none for shoplifting. The oldest is about 15 years old. I have been clean, GREAT job, Great family, baby comming, ect. It's been just over two weeks now...WILL ANYTHING HAPPEN NOW????? Please help!! neither of have been able to sleep and worry day and night. Really stupid thing i did...BUT i was honestly going to pay for it. We both had over $300.00 in ash on us at the time. Had a lawyer call there a few days ago, and he told us at that time that NO warrent had been issued. HELP IF YOU CAN...thank you

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Shoplifting at Target in Michigan

Help you what!? You called an Attorney he said there is no warrant what do you need? Other than you havent learned anything if you still stealing and/or committing crimes!

You have three felonies, and you didn't think twice before this?

You'll either be charged or you won't. I can't tell you which, and the police won't tell you the status of their investigation as long as it remains open. You can try to order a copy of the police report, and see if they decline to give you a copy because it's still an open investigation. If not and the give you a copy, most agencies will conclude the report with a statemen of whether they referred the case to the prosecutor for possible charges, or whether it was simply closed with no referral.

Having three felonies on your record, you should be familiar with Michigan's "Larceny In A Buiding" felony charge (MCL 750.360), which in my opinion should not be charged for a simple retail fraud... but plainly could be. I know you're also familiar with the "habitual felon" laws, as you will surely have encountered them. I'm trying to put a bit of the scare into you here - you need to take care of your fiancée and baby, and you can't do that if you're in jail or prison. You need to be more careful than most people, because your records make the stakes of a criminal prosecution so much greater.

thank you for your response in this pertient matter. I'm trying to just let it go and see what happens, but it's hard. I want so bad to drive to the other town and try to talk with the police and DA in this matter. I feel almost useless just sitting around doing nothing.
    Any advise about something like that??
    Thank you once again.

Beyond trying to get a copy of the police report? You could hire a lawyer to contact the prosecutor to discuss the status of any possible charge, but you may awaken a sleeping dog.

thanks again. Yes, i guess waken a sleeping dog sometimes is a bad idea. It's just that once in my life, i really was doing the right thing and planned on paying for the item. Just went about it the wrong way. (so much for a surprise hey?) Question though? Do they usally wait this long before issuing a warrent???3 weeks almost?? When can i breathe some relief??? thank you.

panther10758 Guest

They can take until SOL runs run out!

thank you. i'll keep you posted

Post Re: Shoplifting at Target in Michigan

After reading nurmuous postings, none really seem to fit what i'm going through. So i will ask for your help.
    Though i have 3 past feloines, 1980, 1984 and 1987, (none for shoplifting) COULD i still "MAYBE" get fines, and costs and maybe some light jail time or supended sentences??? I have a soon to be wife and baby on the way in 3 weeks. I have a great job to pay for fines and whatever. Is it possible????thank you....

Post Re: Shoplifting at Target in Michigan

Hello Again,
    It has been 4 weeks since i got caught shoplifting from Target here in Michigan. The item was $16.99. (a childs bed shrit for the crib). I left without the store without going with the LP. When the Sheriff's Department called me about two days later, I explained that i was NOT trying to steal the item in question.
    I then talked to the LP about two more days after that. He kind of understood and said that the since the item was $16.99 and that the item did not leave the store, that he thinks nothing willl happen. He called the Sheriff was talked to him on my behalf.
    It has been 4 weeks now and i have heard nothing, no letter, no nothing. (does this mean that i got a break?)
    Thank you...

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast