Default Can You Sue a Police Officer Over a False Statement in a Police Report

My question involves police conduct in the State of: Ohio.

I was involved in a accident and there was a witness On the seen the witness gave there statement putting the other party. At fault the police officer wrote accident report putting me at fault. In result causing me to lose my job. I want to sue the police department for a intentional false report

Default Re: Can You Sue a Police Officer Over a False Statement in a Police Report

The officer is entitled to form his own opinion as to who is at fault for an accident, based upon the facts and evidence.

If you disagree with that opinion, you can argue your own interpretation to the officer's supervisor, to the insurance company (or companies) processing claims, and to your employer.

If your employer does not find your version of events to be credible and fires you, that's just another example of life being unfair.

A witness statement that differs from the officer's conclusion is not decisive. Sometimes witnesses are wrong. Sometimes they don't fully perceive the events. Sometimes they don't understand the legal issues behind a determination of fault.

Default Re: Can You Sue a Police Officer Over a False Statement in a Police Report

You can sue anyone for anything.

Consult with a local attorney to see if you have a case before you go wasting thousands of dollars.

My guess is that you'll get nowhere.

1. Sponsored Links