Unhappy A simple question about a bracelet

I live in New York State. My grandpa [a widower] had 2 children, my dad and my aunt. My grandpa died 2 years ago. The first thing my aunt did was dole out my grandpa's jewelry. She gave my dad a bracelet that she had given her father years before. it says "To dad, love 'her name'. Then she gave me my grandpa's ring that I had always fancied.

My dad passed away from a sudden heart attack a few months ago. He had worn that bracelet every day since my grandpa died, in fact they had to remove it from his dead body in the emergency room, and gave it to me with the rest of his personal items.

recently my aunt's lawyer wrote a letter to my lawyer saying that I have to relinquish that bracelet becaue "it is an asset of my grandpa's estate" [which my aunt is executrix of, still, for 2 years, doing nothing]. The letter said nothing of the ring she gave me, or anything else.

Was that bracelet my dads property, can I keep it in the long run? I do not want to part with it for sentimental reasons. What are my rights?

I thank you wholeheartedly for reading this.

Default Re: A simple question about a bracelet

Quote Quoting Raptus_regaliter
    View Post
    I live in New York State. My grandpa [a widower] had 2 children, my dad and my aunt. My grandpa died 2 years ago. The first thing my aunt did was dole out my grandpa's jewelry. She gave my dad a bracelet that she had given her father years before. it says "To dad, love 'her name'. Then she gave me my grandpa's ring that I had always fancied.

My dad passed away from a sudden heart attack a few months ago. He had worn that bracelet every day since my grandpa died, in fact they had to remove it from his dead body in the emergency room, and gave it to me with the rest of his personal items.

recently my aunt's lawyer wrote a letter to my lawyer saying that I have to relinquish that bracelet becaue "it is an asset of my grandpa's estate" [which my aunt is executrix of, still, for 2 years, doing nothing]. The letter said nothing of the ring she gave me, or anything else.

Was that bracelet my dads property, can I keep it in the long run? I do not want to part with it for sentimental reasons. What are my rights?

I thank you wholeheartedly for reading this.
    What did your attorney say about this?

Who says that he has a lawyer?

Somehow I don't think your aunt is going to press this very hard before the probate court, given that she would likely end up having to explain why this item of jewelry is somehow different from everything else she distributed. Odds are what she really wants is to recover it for herself, for sentimental reasons, but is taking this approach because she's afraid if she just asks you'll say "no". In any event, absent more knowledge of the estate, it's hard to do more than say "consult a local lawyer".

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    Who says that he has a lawyer?
    The OP stated so him/herself.
    Quoting Raptus_regaliter
    ...recently my aunt's lawyer wrote a letter to my lawyer...

You're right... I overlooked that. Yes, that's the person to ask.

1. Sponsored Links