Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: A Good Enough Reason

Imagine how Mr. Fuchs feels.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Imagine how Mr. Fuchs feels.
    Or Mrs. Fuqua.
    Don't make me quote Monty Python at you.

I'm sorry to re-open this two year old post but I just couldn't resist.

Yesterday I was talking to the co-worker I mentioned on the last post of the first page, after hearing him explain to a caller who would need to call back, "I'm the only one in the entire university named (unusual name)". I told him that I had googled his name and found only he and his father, and he declared that the name would stop with him; he would not be using his name for his son unless it was as a middle name. I told him about this thread, and he offered to trade names with the OP.

Just thought that might amuse some people.

I work with a Gasville. Yup, first name. And he's a II, he's named his son the III. He has to repeat his name EVERY SINGLE TIME, then spell it. Although I get the allure of passing on family names, I'd let that one be a middle name.

If you want to change for the sake of having an interesting name, be very creative. Consider the man named Ghoti.

As the story goes, he checked into a hotel and signed the register William Ghoti. The clerk said, "Welcome Mr. Ghoti." The guest corrected him and said my last name is pronounced "Fish." When the puzzled clerk inquired further, the guest explained:

The gh is pronounced as in tough, the o as in women and the ti as in nation - Fish.

Or consider a modification of your forum name, Juman3ji. (The 3 is silent)

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Quote Quoting L-1
    View Post
    If you want to change for the sake of having an interesting name, be very creative. Consider the man named Ghoti.

As the story goes, he checked into a hotel and signed the register William Ghoti. The clerk said, "Welcome Mr. Ghoti." The guest corrected him and said my last name is pronounced "Fish." When the puzzled clerk inquired further, the guest explained:

The gh is pronounced as in tough, the o as in women and the ti as in nation - Fish.

Hey! three isn't silent, that 7! thr7ee make the sound of gargling. You must be dyslexi3c.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting L-1
    View Post

Huh? I didn't realize that I had expressed any interest in changing my name...

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    My first name is a fairly common one but there are a minimum of eight different ways to spell it and mine is one of the more unusual spellings. Even when I have spelled it in the same email it is frequently misspelled to one of the more common spellings.

One of my teammates at work has a most unusual name, one that I can honestly say I have never heard before, and when I google it I get nothing but he and his father. It doesn't appear at all in Nameberry. I have never once heard him introduce himself over the phone that he hasn't had to say it three times and then spell it. It's a simple, four letter, one syllable name but if you're going for unusual you have to be prepared for people to think they've mis-heard you.
    My name has lots of variations and spellings as well...and my last name gets mangled ALL the time.

True, but neither your name nor mine is anything as unusual as this guy's. I can promise you that.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    I'm not sure this is an appropriate place for this
    It is not.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast