Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Changing Your Name to Something Unique or Unusual

My question involves name change laws in the State of: Georgia

I recently turned 18, and I want to change my name. I read around and it seems relatively easy to do, but I don't know if this good enough reason.

Whenever people first hear or see it, my name is frequently misspelled, misheard, or mispronounced. It's a tweaked version of a very common name and I just want a simpler name to go by. I'm not very keen about correcting people on my name either, so people who met me at different times and think my name is something different from what each other thinks get excessively confused when we all meet up at one time.

I want to change my whole name to a simple, yet unique "Tup Rex" which should be difficult to mispronounce, misspell, or mishear, although I am aware that anything is possible.

There is a hint of humor as it can be abbreviated to "T Rex" but I don't think it's too crazy.

I know I'm supposed to petition my local superior court with the reasons for name change, then post 4 separate posts in the local county newspaper basically asking for objections, and then if I get none, the court will decide to approve it or not, but I don't know how to start.

What paperwork do I need to file the petition and where do I get it?

All responses, thoughts, ideas, tips, links, etc are welcome, and thanks so much for your time‼

Default Re: A Good Enough Reason

Quote Quoting first477
    View Post
    I want to change my whole name to a simple, yet unique "Tup Rex" which should be difficult to mispronounce, misspell, or mishear, although I am aware that anything is possible.
    You may be surprised. With any uncommon name there is a chance people will mangle it, especially with spelling. When they hear the last name, you'll likely have to keep spelling it for people because they won't know if it should be spelled Rex, Wrecks, Recks, Wrex, Rects, Wrects, etc. That particular name is one that fits a huge number of potential spellings. The first name is less likely to mangle, I think, but there is a possibility that you may end up having to spell it, or at least repeat the name, because unusual names tend to give people trouble. This is not in any way to discourage you from choosing that name if you like it. I just want to make sure you realize that if simplicity is your goal that this name, particularly the last name, might turn out not as simple as you think.

In general a competent adult may change his/her name to almost anything he or wishes so long as the reason for the name change is not to facilitate fraud or other criminal activity or to aid in evading law enforcement. It ought to be enough that you just dislike your current name and like the new one you picked out. So long as there are no valid objections raised by anyone, the court should approve the name change. [/QUOTE]

Quote Quoting first477
    View Post

All responses, thoughts, ideas, tips, links, etc are welcome, and thanks so much for your time‼
    I'm not sure this is an appropriate place for this but your post reminds of a joke.

Tarzan meets a woman in the jungle. Tarzan says "What your name?" "My name Jane." Tarzan says "What your whole name?" Jane says "Hole name Pussy."

Anyway, the Fulton County court website has forms and instructions (scroll down to adult name change) that'll give you an idea of how to do it and then you can probably find similar forms and instructions on your local court website.

https://www.fultoncourt.org/family/family-packets.php

My maiden name was a compound word. A color, followed by a preposition. While the name itself is not well known on this side of the Atlantic (it's slightly more common in England) if you look at it that way - color-preposition, it should have been quite easy to spell.

One of my cousins once counted 53 different ways it had been misspelled in his mail.

If you legally change your name be sure and change your drivers license, your name with the social security administration, voter registration, bank, your name at work for pay checks, school, etc.

My name is quite generic and (should be) easy to spell. First name is spelled the same forwards and backward, and last name is very standard. Can't tell you how both have been mangled. My maiden name is ethnic, unique and difficult to spell. Most people get it right (because they ask).

Funnily enough, my oldest is just in the process of changing their name - and is taking my maiden name.

Default Re: Changing Your Name to Something Unique or Unusual

Very informative post, thank you. I did not consider the multitude of possible spellings for "Rex" and I will definitely consider a name that could be simpler.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Tarzan meets a woman in the jungle. Tarzan says "What your name?" "My name Jane." Tarzan says "What your whole name?" Jane says "Hole name Pussy."
    Don't run for president.

My prediction is that if you go with "Tup" as a first name, you will spend your entire life repeating, spelling, and confirming that you really, truly said your name was Tup.

If simplicity is what you're going for, then a Mike, John, Mary, or Susan is what you'd be aiming for. So you may have to choose between your stated goals of simplicity and uniqueness. By virtue of the uniqueness it won't be simple for you. (Says the one with a name that rhymes with two more commonly-heard names, but is a mere 4 letters. I have to say/spell my name repeatedly.)

My first name is a fairly common one but there are a minimum of eight different ways to spell it and mine is one of the more unusual spellings. Even when I have spelled it in the same email it is frequently misspelled to one of the more common spellings.

One of my teammates at work has a most unusual name, one that I can honestly say I have never heard before, and when I google it I get nothing but he and his father. It doesn't appear at all in Nameberry. I have never once heard him introduce himself over the phone that he hasn't had to say it three times and then spell it. It's a simple, four letter, one syllable name but if you're going for unusual you have to be prepared for people to think they've mis-heard you.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast