Default Vehicle Seller Never Signed the Title

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Oklahoma

I bought a car for my son. He never got it registered so I sold it to another person. This person noticed the title wasn't signed by the guy I bought it from. He still has the title and car, but is bugging me to take care of this for him or he wants his money back. I don't have the money any more because I paid a bill with it.

I tracked down the original owner. He is a young guy who is also a convicted felon out on probation. I contacted his probation officer but was told there's nothing he can do. I called the police but they said the same thing. They also told me he could report the car as stolen and get it back.

I've talked to the guy once, telling him to call the man who now has the car and go sign the title. He said he would but never did. I still don't have a number for this guy (never saved it when I had it), but I do have his address. I am thinking about taking the title to him to ask him to sign it. But I'm afraid he'll snatch the title out of my hand and try to get the car back.

My son said he got a bill of sale from the guy, but the guy never signed it. The bill of sale is lost. He also told my son a lie; that the title was in his mother's name so he would have to contact his mother. It never happened.

I don't know what else to do to resolve this problem. Any ideas?

Default Re: Seller Never Signed Title

I am thinking about taking the title to him to ask him to sign it. But I'm afraid he'll snatch the title out of my hand and try to get the car back.
    Then bring some hundred dollar bills and wave them in front of the guy while you ask for his signature.

Seriously? That's my only option?

You have the option of refunding the money to the person to whom you sold a car to which you do not hold title, and taking the car back.

Quote Quoting stardazy
    View Post
    Seriously? That's my only option?
    As a practical matter, it may be the only viable option that will quickly and efficiently settle things.

Or, as Mr K notes, you can refund your buyer, get the vehicle back and then try to undo, or fix, the deal with the CRIMINAL.

1. Sponsored Links