Angry What Deductions Can Be Made from Compensation to an Independent Conractor

My question involves independent contractors in the state of: Florida

I worked for a distribution company for exactly 6 days delivering newspapers in the state of Florida. I did not sign a contract all I signed was an application of employment. I was never told payment for my duties in which I kept asking my district manager, who was training me. I am asthmatic and got sick on the 6th day after getting home. On the day I was to return to work I was not able to come in either. When I went to pick up my paycheck the distribution company charged me 4 times the rate I would have made the day I was not able to return. Now I know that Florida statue does not allow employers to make any deductions to pay without informing the employee. My check was $400 the deductions they made for that day totaled $636. I tried dealing with the company but they are refusing to pay me and sent me a picture of my application which says no payment would be made unless a contract was signed and any further communication with them would be a form of harassment. Now next to that phrase the is a spot for you to initial which I did not. How can I go about getting my pay from this company? I basically worked for them for free because I got sick.

Default Re: What Deductions Can Be Made to an Independent Contractor in the State of Florida

Were you an employee or an independent contractor? It makes a difference.

Also what were they charging you for?

Default Re: What Deductions Can Be Made to an Independent Contractor in the State of Florida

It would be extraordinarily surprising if this were anything but an independent contractor relationship. He's being charged for the cost of finding a replacement carrier on short notice. Yes, these contracts tend to be very one-sided.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    It would be extraordinarily surprising if this were anything but an independent contractor relationship. He's being charged for the cost of finding a replacement carrier on short notice. Yes, these contracts tend to be very one-sided.
    I figured OP was an IC, however when he said "application of employment" "paycheck" "employers" and "employee" I thought I should obtain clarification.

Quote Quoting eerelations
    View Post
    I figured OP was an IC, however when he said "application of employment" "paycheck" "employers" and "employee" I thought I should obtain clarification.
    OP is apparently clueless about the difference, and about other things as well.

1. Sponsored Links