Default Criminal Charges for Time Clock Fraud

My question involves criminal law for the state of: North Carolina

I have been accused of time clock fraud. I work for a company and would use my remote access to clock into work and would never actually go to work. I was terminated and was told that legal action could be taken as a Class H Felony since the amount was greater than $1000. I have no previous criminal record, not even a speeding ticket. What is the likelihood of the company proceeding with criminal charges and what could the ramifications be?

Default Re: Time Clock Fraud

Sorry, the crystal ball is out being recalibrated, the magic 8 ball is broken, and Madame Zurlina is on vacation. You're just going to have to sweat it out - no one here can calculate the odds of what an unknown company will do with any accuracy.

as cbg says, our crystal ball is out for repair, so we have no way of knowing the likelihood. (eta: jinx...she was typing at the same time I was LOL -- mine was just longer)

You might try to resolve the issue by offering to pay back the amount you stole in timeclock fraud. Realize you also stole not only your wages, but any payroll taxes and any benefits the employer paid on those wages. They don't have to accept, but if you try repentance and restitution, it might help. However, it is pretty much admitting that you stole in the first place. I wouldn't expect any type of reference in the future, even if they never press charges and you pay back the money you stole. They can still tell any prospective employer that you stole from them (even if you paid it back) but at least you might not have charges pressed.

It depends on the employer on whether they want to try to get the DA to file charges against you. Ramifications, if not pled down, would include a felony of theft and I can tell you that it will be hard to ever find another job.

My crystal ball also remains out of order but thought it was worth asking.

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully my remorse will take me far. I'm not sure about restitutions as a lack of money was what landed in this position to begin with but defineatly worth a try.

1. Sponsored Links