Default How to Get Guardianship of a Grandchild

My sister lives in Arkansas with my mom and dad. She is 23 years old and has a 3 year old daughter. My sister does not have a job and has no other income. She is disrespectful to my parents (yelling at them, cussing at them, etc.) and goes out to clubs and drinks on a weekly basis. When she goes out, she does not tell anyone where she is going or when she will be home and does not ask if anyone will watch her daughter. My parents have told me they have set down house rules and she does not abide by those either. My parents have told me they want to kick my sister out of the house but are afraid for their granddaughters safety and wellbeing. The father of the child is not an option, he is more of a deadbeat than my sister is acting right now. The other grandparents already have temp custody of two other children (not related) and my parents don't want to burden them with more. Can my parents obtain temporary guardianship of their granddaughter and what are their chances of winning that custody battle. If they can obtain temp custody, they plan on removing my sister from their house in hopes she will learn to be responsible enough to take care of her daughter.

Default Re: problems with sister

Consult with a lawyer who handles these kinds of cases.

Default Re: problems with sister

Realistically, yes, your parents will need to consult a lawyer who handles guardianship litigation in your state, formulate a strategy for litigation, and learn what they need to do to document their case. If your sister gets wind of the plan before a court order is entered preventing her from doing so, she can move out with her child, so getting competent legal help would be wise.

1. Sponsored Links