Default Landlord Agreed to Terminate Lease but Only 14 Days Notice

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California

Long story short my landlord doesn't want to make some repairs to water damage by the legal route I.e.: unlicensed contractors handling asbestos abatement without an asbestos licensed contractor and without the proper protocol for asbestos abatement. She is going to "make repairs" but I am concerned for my kids and my overall safety and health with them not being handled properly. Also the place is a slum.

During the time I discussed repairs with her and my concern for proper handling, she gave me an unsolicited offer to end the lease without penalty and with a 30 day notice. I've been considering her offer and asked today if it was still on the table, could I please have it in writing. Now she comes back with only 14 days for her offer. I'm concerned with finding another place in that amount of time and also how legal that is considering everything seems to relate to 30 or 60 days.

Can you guys please help clarify what my rights are according to the law. Thanks. I'm not trying to press the issue to hard since she is offering to terminate without penalty.

Default Re: Landlord Agreed to Terminate Lease but Only 14 Days Notice

She could have made the offer contingent upon your being out within a day -- because it's only an offer. You don't have to accept.

If you want to take her up on her offer, say "yes", get it in writing, and move within 14 days. If you don't want to take her up on her offer, say "no" and then negotiate for a different deal, or explore your other remedies as already discussed in your other thread.

1. Sponsored Links