Default Creating a Special Needs Trust Instead of Paying Support for an Adult Child

Just today, I came across this recent attorney article that seems to help me understand how a special needs trust can be used to better protect the adult child. http://achievingindependence.com/ind...journal/?p=986

I am politely seeking help and wish to help others in the same situation as me.

I hope this article "When Parents Divorce - Using a Special Needs Trust For Child Support Payments to Maximize Public Benefits Eligibility" helps them.

Default Re: Creating a Special Needs Trust Instead of Paying Support for an Adult Child

Quote Quoting Fubarbato
    View Post
    Just today, I came across this recent attorney article that seems to help me understand how a special needs trust can be used to better protect the adult child. http://achievingindependence.com/ind...journal/?p=986

I am politely seeking help and wish to help others in the same situation as me.

I hope this article "When Parents Divorce - Using a Special Needs Trust For Child Support Payments to Maximize Public Benefits Eligibility" helps them.
    You would have to get the judge to agree with you that paying your child support into a special needs trust is more valid than you paying child support. However, you have also got to realize that if the judge agrees, its unlikely that you will get to be the trustee. Also, rent, utilities, food, sundries and everything else that your child support is going for now, will be valid expenses to be paid out of the trust.

Default Re: Creating a Special Needs Trust Instead of Paying Support for an Adult Child

It is highly unlikely you will be appointed trustee. You will have to continue to pay child support, as you are now. It will not affect the childs SSI.

Because SSI is welfare, you can't stop paying child support becasue it would increase the monthly SSI benefits.

1. Sponsored Links