Default Held Accountable for Red Light Ticket, Failure to Appear, but No Ticket Was Received

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California

I am very confused and discouraged right now, I could use some help or guidance if anyone has any.

I received a notice in the mail from DMV that stated I have a FTA for a red light ticket and my license was to be suspended. I did not receive a ticket as I was not the registered owner of the vehicle. The registered owner did not get the ticket either as it went to a business PO box that does not accept personal mail not addressed to the box owner and apparently it was addressed to me.
    I was told I had to pay the ticket and a hefty fine for the FTA to stop the suspension of my license so I did. The clerk set up a court date she said was for addressing the FTA regarding getting the fine money back since I did not get a notice of a court date to appear at. When I went to court however it was for the ticket. The judge asked how I plead and I said not guilty as I was yet to receive or see a ticket. I was told to go to the courthouse to get a copy of the ticket and come back to court. How in the world is it my responsibility to get my own ticket to myself?
    I do not know how they identified me as the driver either? Even if it was me they could not have identified me by my license as I do not look anything like it anymore and cant even use it when I am present. If they had, my actual address is on my license and the DMV has my correct address they should have been able to get the ticket to me. The ticket was from January of 2016 , I got the notice from DMV about my suspension in June and the first court date was in August. The second one is tomorrow morning. 10 months and they still have not done their job at getting me the ticket. I have already paid $800 for the ticket and fines and just don't understand this system right now.
    Is there anyone up that knows what I should say tomorrow when I go back into court? Clearly im looking for a long shot but thank you for any help.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Default Re: Held Accountable for a Red Light Ticket and Fta for a Red Light Ticket Not Receiv

You should tell the truth. The only way a red light ticket gets put in your name is?
    1. You're the registered owner of the vehicle (no matter who's driving it)
    2. The person who got the ticket identifies you as the one that got the ticket.

The video of the ticket is at the police department that issued the citation.

Default Re: Held Accountable for a Red Light Ticket and Fta for a Red Light Ticket Not Receiv

Quote Quoting M.TRBLE
    View Post

I received a notice in the mail from DMV that stated I have a FTA for a red light ticket and my license was to be suspended. I did not receive a ticket as I was not the registered owner of the vehicle. The registered owner did not get the ticket either as it went to a business PO box that does not accept personal mail not addressed to the box owner and apparently it was addressed to me.
    Were you, or were you not, driving the car on the date and at the time the red light camera snapped the photo?

If it was you, how they found you doesn't matter a bit.

Quote Quoting M.TRBLE
    View Post
    I was told I had to pay the ticket and a hefty fine for the FTA to stop the suspension of my license so I did. The clerk set up a court date she said was for addressing the FTA regarding getting the fine money back since I did not get a notice of a court date to appear at. When I went to court however it was for the ticket. The judge asked how I plead and I said not guilty as I was yet to receive or see a ticket. I was told to go to the courthouse to get a copy of the ticket and come back to court. How in the world is it my responsibility to get my own ticket to myself?
    The judge said so, that's how.

Quote Quoting M.TRBLE
    View Post
    I do not know how they identified me as the driver either? Even if it was me they could not have identified me by my license as I do not look anything like it anymore and cant even use it when I am present. If they had, my actual address is on my license and the DMV has my correct address they should have been able to get the ticket to me. The ticket was from January of 2016 , I got the notice from DMV about my suspension in June and the first court date was in August. The second one is tomorrow morning. 10 months and they still have not done their job at getting me the ticket. I have already paid $800 for the ticket and fines and just don't understand this system right now.
    Is there anyone up that knows what I should say tomorrow when I go back into court? Clearly im looking for a long shot but thank you for any help.
    Again, were you, or were you not, driving the car on the date and at the time the red light camera snapped the photo?

If you were, then you might get some relief on the FTA but not if you annoy the judge with all that stuff about identifying you.

I thought I made it pretty clear that I never received the ticket which means I did not know if I was the driver even up until my second court date the other day. The ticket was from January. As for how they identified me, it actually does matter how they obtained it. I was not the registered owner of the vehicle and they are not allowed to just make an assumption of who was driving. They sent the ticket to a PO box that my name is not on and I do not own nor does the registered owner so they did not identify me either. The fact that because of all of that, I not knowing anything about a ticket missed a court date for that ticket and had a warrant out, had to pay $800.00 to not have my license suspended and then go to court twice. I have not had a ticket in 15 years never in any kind of trouble and had I got pulled over by an officer they would be reading that I have a warrant and that interaction could have been not so good as I would have no indication of any of this. None of this would have happened if they had done their job correctly and not made an assumption of who the driver was and sent the ticket certified mail like they are supposed to so it would have been signed for and they would have known that it was not received. It would have saved me a lot of unnecessary trouble.

They cannot hold a person responsible for an FTA on a mailed citation, so, this ticket would not appear to be the result of a red light camera.

If you can discover any information about the issuance of the cite, you might consider reporting identity theft to your local law enforcement agency.

You might consider speaking to an attorney who might be able to get this matter before a court where the issuing officer can either identify you or rule you out. Or, state that he issued the cite based upon a verbal identification.

Oh,and they have to mail the notice of suspension via First Class mail, not certified mail.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Certified mail is an option that is applied to First Class (or Priority) mail.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Certified mail is an option that is applied to First Class (or Priority) mail.
    The point being that there is no legal requirement for these to be sent via certified mail, and I am unaware of any county in CA that does so. There may be one, but none that I am familiar with.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links