Default Mistake in Court Minutes

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: CA

I was having a disagreement with the other party about what should be court order after hearing so I went to the courthouse to review the minutes (no transcript available). There are mistakes in the minutes. Based on what I remember at the hearing, I can understand the confusion and how the minutes ended up that way.

The mistake is actually grossly in my favor, but I don't want there to be any additional disputes. How do I "correct the record" so we can have an accurate order?

Default Re: Mistake in Court Minutes

If you cannot agree on an order, and the minutes don't help you, order a transcript.

There was no reporter at the hearing.

It is possible that it was recorded even without an on-site reporter and could be transcribed for you.

If in fact the proceedings were not recorded at all, then you're going to have to bring a motion and see if the judge's recollection is different than what appears in the judge's notes.

I'm certain there was no recording.

Like, I mentioned, the mistake is in my favor. I just don't want to give the impression that I'm trying to take advantage of the situation only to have the judge bring down the hammer at a future hearing.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

You wouldn't know if the proceeding was recorded because you can't see the recorder from where you would be standing. It is likely that the judge has notes sitting around (we don't allow the public to see them).

I looked into getting a reporter for the hearing. I talked to the supervisor for the court reporters before the hearing. We had a long discussion about how they no longer provide reporters for civil cases and I would have to get a private reporter. We also discussed how they've tried to use recordings without much success.

Aren't the judge's/clerks notes what they would have used to make the minute order?

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Quote Quoting GeneralUser
    View Post
    Aren't the judge's/clerks notes what they would have used to make the minute order?
    If they're as good as I am, they'd be writing on their calendar so call the courtroom and speak to the clerk. Yes, the judges take notes, but they don't look at them after they close the case file until the next hearing.

Again, call the court and speak to the clerk in the courtroom. What county is this anyway?

1. Sponsored Links