Default How to Get Custody of a Grandchild in Another State

I live in Greensboro NC. I have a 16yr granddaughter who lives in Philadelphia Penna. My granddaughter lives with her other paternal grandmother (mother) who pack her bags and put her out 10/2/2016210PM, because she had reefer and she could smell it. Granddaughter went to a girlfriend house and contact me this morning. Granddaughter mother lives in Philadelphia but does not get along with daughter. Father lives here with me and wants to go get her and bring her to Greensboro. NEITHER PARENT HAS CUSTODY. What rights do we have? Who do we contact to bring her here. Is she consider old enough to make a decision to come with her father without consent from mother/grandmother. Want to do the right thing to avoid anymore issues
    Granddaughter does go to school and B/C average. She is not perfect an average teenager who is smelling herself which I know the hormone is working.

Default Re: How to Get Custody of a Grandchild in Another State

Why wasn't the child living with the father when the mother didn't want her living with her? Why haven't they been to court for custody and child support ? Has the father contacted the mother and asked her if it is alright if the child lives with her father ? If the parents weren't married, is the father on the birth certificate or has he signed an acknowledgement of paternity?

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

SOMEONE has custody of this child.... and it's either mom or dad so which is it?

Quote Quoting Bonnie Cobb
    View Post
    I live in Greensboro NC. I have a 16yr granddaughter who lives in Philadelphia Penna. My granddaughter lives with her other paternal grandmother (mother) who pack her bags and put her out 10/2/2016210PM, because she had reefer and she could smell it. Granddaughter went to a girlfriend house and contact me this morning. Granddaughter mother lives in Philadelphia but does not get along with daughter. Father lives here with me and wants to go get her and bring her to Greensboro. NEITHER PARENT HAS CUSTODY. What rights do we have? Who do we contact to bring her here. Is she consider old enough to make a decision to come with her father without consent from mother/grandmother. Want to do the right thing to avoid anymore issues
    Granddaughter does go to school and B/C average. She is not perfect an average teenager who is smelling herself which I know the hormone is working.
    Who has custody then if the mother or father don't? Does the other grandmother have custody? You need to find out who has custody and what the order states. If that other grandmother has custody then she has to stay with her. If either parent still has their parental rights, then they need to go file for custody because there's obviously a change.

Why would she need consent from her mother if her mother has no custody? This is confusing.

Just to clarify things...

There is never a case where no one has custody. There can only be a case where custody has not been ordered by a court.

In an unwed situation, with no custody orders, the mother has custody by default.

In a married situation, with no custody orders, both parents have custody by default.

So, either you are saying that the other grandma has custody, in which case its her choice where the child lives. Or, the mother has custody and its her choice where the child lives. In either of those situations, dad better file in court for custody (which would have to be done in Philly) if he wants to avoid any problems.

1. Sponsored Links