Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Concerned on accused for shoplifting - Rhode Island

Rhode Island

I was charged with shoplifting (3 items - less than $10) under R.I.G.L. 11-41-20 Statute for RI -atleast I believe this was the statute. I regretfully have to say that this is my first and only time and the intention was not to steal but forgot to pay for the items or mention that I had them to the cashier as I already had grocery bags with purchased items.

I was told that I am being banned permanently from entering the store and if I have any questions or want to request permission to enter the store again -to contact headquarters after 6 months. They wrote the prices/items that I had in my possesion on a doc., asked me to sign two docs and was told that I would be trespassing if I enter their store or any of the chain stores again. I did not want to sign any docs/ neither accept the accusation but had no choice as I couldn't talk to anyone. They threated to bring in a cop if I did not give my DL & had to provide my SSN.

I believe, because of the amount involved (<10) this is considered a 'misdemeanor petty theft' and I understand I would have to pay fines which is ok with me.

Concerns: will this be captured in my background check for employment and if so for how long will this be on my record - forever??; will this only be in RI or follow me to any US states that I move for FT employment? can anything be done?; will i have to appear in court?; will this charge/incident be filed by the company with a National database of some sort? can this be pardoned/ taken off my record? any info. that you can provide? I intend to talk to a lawyer but any advice provided will be immensely appreciated as I am a single adult female looking for FT employment and hopefully be married and lead a normal life!!

Default Re: Concerned on accused for shoplifting - Rhode Island

Q: will this be captured in my background check for employment and if so for how long will this be on my record - forever??; will this only be in RI or follow me to any US states that I move for FT employment? can anything be done?; will i have to appear in court?; will this charge/incident be filed by the company with a National database of some sort? can this be pardoned/ taken off my record? any info. that you can provide? I intend to talk to a lawyer but any advice provided will be immensely appreciated as I am a single adult female looking for FT employment and hopefully be married and lead a normal life!!

A: If a criminal charge is filed against you and you plead guilty or are found guilty, it will be on your record forever everywhere.

Thank you for replying.

Q. Can this be filed as a 'criminal charge'? as my understanding - after reading some literature is: anything < $ 10 can/ is considered 'misdeamnor petty theft'? what is the timeframe that I will know by when the criminal charge against me is filed either by the grocery store or security company? i.e. If nothing hapens in 2 weeks or a month can I go about my business? ofcourse will not enter the store.

Do you suggest I consult a criminal attorney right away?

panther10758 Guest

Quote Quoting newgal
    View Post

Do you suggest I consult a criminal attorney right away?
    You are faced with criminal prosecution of course you should consult an Attorney

I know you cannot identify with me and believe me I am a sincere law abiding citizen & never got into anything - just don't know how/why it happend - i am going thru withdrawal from life and seriuosly think this behavior is part of it - I am just realizing the amount of self-damage this has done to me. But I am very sincerely hoping & praying that they won't file a criminal charge as it is my first time and just pay the fine - but would like to hear from senior members of this forum on my thoughts. I cannot contact a lawyer today/tomorrow and I am not ble to think about anything else the whole day.

panther10758 Guest

Quote Quoting newgal
    View Post
    I know you cannot identify with me and believe me I am a sincere law abiding citizen Wrong you committed acrime and are no longer a law abiding citizen& never got into anything - just don't know how/why it happend - i am going thru withdrawal from life and seriuosly think this behavior is part of it - I am just realizing the amount of self-damage this has done to me. But I am very sincerely hoping & praying that they won't file a criminal charge as it is my first time and just pay the fine - but would like to hear from senior members of this forum on my thoughts. I cannot contact a lawyer today/tomorrow and I am not ble to think about anything else the whole day.

Were Police called? Do you have a court date? Ifteh answer is yes then you are being charged and if found guilty will have a criminal record

No - police were not called - no court date - incident happend Friday -
    I was told that I am being banned permanently from entering the store & any of their stores permanently - i did not knw this is criminal charge & did not ask them if they intent to file. They wrote the prices & items that I had in my possesion on a doc., asked me to sign two docs and was told that I would be trespassing if I enter their store or any of the chain stores again.
    They threated to bring in a cop if I did not give my DL & details. I obliged and so no cops were brought in. I left the store myself with purchased groceries i already had.

Total amount of 3 itemsL (<10).

panther10758 Guest

It appears as though store has not prosecuted then so your record will remain clean. However is you reenter store or commit another theft in one of there stores they can still file these charges. Have you got Civil Demand letter yet? Be sure to pay it. It appears as though your safe.

No- police were not called - no court date - incident happend Friday. They threated to bring in a cop if I did not give my DL & details so I obliged and so no cops were brought in.

Told that I am being banned permanently from entering the store & any of their stores permanently - i did not knw this is criminal charge & did not ask them if they intent to file.
    Store security guard wrote the prices & items that I had in my possesion on a doc., asked me to sign two docs, took a digital picture and was told that I would be trespassing if I enter their store or any of the chain stores again.

left store on my own with purchased groceries i already had.

Total amount of 3 items (<10).

It appears as though store has not prosecuted - Newgal comments: Incident happend yesterday arnd 6:30 pm so not sure yet but don't wan't to call them to check about it! - then so your record will remain clean. However is you reenter store or commit another theft in one of there stores they can still file these charges. OK - Thanks - will not enter! Have you got Civil Demand letter yet? Be sure to pay it. Happended yesterday evening! no do demand letter yet & will pay amount! It appears as though your safe.

I am thinking of checking my background/ criminal checks online today but not sure if it will show up yet!

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast