Default 1031 Like-Kind Exchanges Involving Building on Land I Already Own

I am considering selling some real-estate and investing in more expensive real-estate. My situation seems to conform with all the rules I've read but the rules I've seen are silent on one key issue that I fear might prevent compliance. I want to transfer the funds to build a rental property on land I already own. Assuming the cost of the building (not including the value or cost o the land) exceeds the proceeds from sold real-estate, can I do a like-kind exchange and if so, are there any special precautions or steps I must take?

Default Re: 1031 Like-Kind Exchanges Involving Building on Land I Already Own

Quote Quoting edtarboosh
    View Post
    I am considering selling some real-estate and investing in more expensive real-estate. My situation seems to conform with all the rules I've read but the rules I've seen are silent on one key issue that I fear might prevent compliance. I want to transfer the funds to build a rental property on land I already own. Assuming the cost of the building (not including the value or cost o the land) exceeds the proceeds from sold real-estate, can I do a like-kind exchange and if so, are there any special precautions or steps I must take?
    A like kind exchange has to be done through an intermediary. From a practical standpoint I am not sure how that could be done in the scenario that you describe. I believe that your best bet would be to talk to a 1031 exchange company about your scenario. They are going to best know if its a viable idea.

Default Re: 1031 Like-Kind Exchanges Involving Building on Land I Already Own

What you're describing is a 1031 improvement exchange. In addition to what LL says about the intermediary (and there are indeed those who specialize in doing this you should talk to), you have a very limited time (180 days) to perform the actual building involved.

1. Sponsored Links