Default Can an Adult's Guardian Give the Ward Permission to Live With Somebody Else

I am a married adult, but was injured in a car accident and was declared incompetent. I don't agree with that assessment, but my mother is my guardian. I have been living with her.

Now she says I can move back in with my husband. Can she authorize that? I want to move, but don't want anybody to get in trouble.

Default Re: Can an Adult's Guardian Give the Ward Permission to Live With Somebody Else

It's unusual that your husband would not be your guardian. I'll assume for now that you suffered a serious injury and your husband was not able to provide the level of care you required at the time your mother became your guardian.

As a general rule, yes, the guardian can allow the protected person to live with somebody else. In fact, as a general rule, the protected person should live in the least restrictive environment possible.

If you have recovered to the point that you can reasonably live with your husband, you can explore the possibility of either petitioning to remove your mother as guardian or, if the court believes that you still need a guardian, consider asking the court to substitute your husband as guardian.

1. Sponsored Links