Default Can a Journalist Secretly Record an Interview

My question involves independent contractors in the state of: Georgia

If a journalist is interviewing someone for a news story, can the interview legally be recorded if the interviewee is unaware of the recorder? Also, if they are filming, when (if ever) is it legally required to blur out faces? Are there specific circumstances that come into play regarding this, or is it the same despite the subject of the interview. I am referring to cases where the person being interviewed is over 18 years of age. Also, if film is involved, do people in the background have to have their faces blurred out? What about recordings where there are people in the background talking to one another on the street? Does the background noise have to be filtered and/or blocked out?

Default Re: Recording of Interviews/Laws on Filming

Secretly recording or listening to a conversation held in a private place, without the consent of all parties, whether carried out orally or by wire or electronic means, is a felony invasion of privacy underGeorgia law. Ga. Code ann. 16-11-62.

Violation of the statute carries a penalty of imprisonment for not less than one nor more than five years or a fine not to exceed $10,000.00, or both. Ga. Code ann. 16-11-69. However, the law expressly provides that it does not prohibit a person who is a party to a conversation from recording, and allows recording if one party to the conversation has given prior consent. Ga. Code ann. 16-11-66.

Default Re: Recording of Interviews/Laws on Filming

Look at ABC vs. Red Lion. That somewhat touches upon it. It also depends on where the interview is taking place, if there is an expectation of privacy and various other things.

1. Sponsored Links