Default Medical Office Failed to File with Health Insurance After Auto Insurance Claim Denial

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Virginia

I had a car accident in December of 2013 and needed to go to a chiropractor for neck pain. While the automobile was repaired, I had to wait until after treatment was complete in order to give the auto insurance the complete bill. I had supplied my health insurance to the medical office as normal procedure for a new customer. Around May 2014, the auto insurance denied the medical claim. It wasn't until July 2016 that the medical office called me to let me know that the auto insurance denied the claim and I would be responsible for the entire bill.

The medical office should have filed with health insurance within reasonable time after auto insurance denial, but now it's too late. This is not my fault.

What can I do?

I couldn't find for sure what the statute of limitations for debt collection of medical bills is (I found conflicting information), could that help? Hiring a lawyer would probably result in the firm taking 1/4 to 1/3 of what would be owed, so should I just settle with the medical office on about 1/10 of the bill?

Default Re: Medical Office Failed to File with Health Insurance After Auto Insurance Claim De

If they were in network with your health insurance company, contact your insurance company. Their failure to submit the bill in a timely manner may preclude their directly billing you for the money.

Default Re: Medical Office Failed to File with Health Insurance After Auto Insurance Claim De

Oh, and the medical office is trying to claim that they never had our insurance information. Does that change anything?

If they never had your health insurance information, they would not have had information about what insurance company to bill beyond the auto insurance.

They're saying they didn't, but I know I supplied health insurance card and they copied it. I don't have a record of it though, because it was a copy for them.

1. Sponsored Links