Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Billed by a Medical Lab After Paying a Doctor's Bill

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Georgia

I recently went to the doctor to have a discolored spot on my neck examined. The results came back as a type of skin cancer. I was referred to a surgeon to have it removed. I made the appointment with the surgeon. When I arrived at the doctors office for the surgery I informed them that I did not have insurance and will be paying in cash. I was giving the option of paying in payments but I told the receptionist that will pay the bill in full. I go in to the surgery room and the entire procedure takes about 30 min. The doctor numbed the spot, cut it out, and stitched me up. He said he felt a 100% that he got it all but he would have to send it to his lab to be sure. I then proceeded to check out and pay my bill. I was told I would need to come back in a few weeks to have the stitches removed and get the lab results. "OK no problem". "How much is my bill". I pay the bill in full and hope for the best. I go back in a few weeks and have the stitches removed and what do you no 100% of the cancer was removed. Yee Haw!!!! The DR. Says " Every thing is fine , have a nice day". 2 months later I start receiving bills from the labs that the doctor sent the tissue sample to and on top of that he sends me a bill for removing the stitches.
    This doctor explained to me at the beginning of this hole process of what they were going to do and I paid for it in full before I left his office. If the doctor sent the tissue sample to the lab why are they billing me for it. I have asked the billing company that is sending me the bill if there are any legal documents that I have signed that says they have the right to bill me. All they can say is you have to take that up with the doctor. I was never giving an itemized bill nor did I sign any document stating what I would and would not be charged for. At the top of the information form I filled out in the surgeons office reads" I understand that it is my responsibility to understand my benefits and to verify that the physician is in network with my plan. I also understand that insurance claims are filed as a courtesy and any uncovered balance will be my responsibility". Well I don't have insurance and I paid the surgeons office before I left.

Default Re: Billed by a Medical Lab After Paying a Doctor's Bill

The lab does not work for free and they do not get paid by the doctor's office out of what you pay the doctor. It's a shame you didn't understand how it works but the bill is yours to pay.

Agree with cbg. Pretty much all labwork is billed separately by the lab.

As for the fee for the removal of stitches, you can talk to the dr's office to see if you can get that reduced, but there is always a chance that what you pay upfront won't cover everything because they don't know what they will have to do.

Lab feees are separate from the drs bill. The drs office has nothing to do with the lab when it comes to costs and payments.

Well this was my first time having something off my body sent to a lab. I guess I was sick that day at school when they taught us that lab work at the doctors office is billed separate. And no S#!t cbg I never said they were doing it for free but the doctors office should have told me there would be extra charges And if I am paying for it shouldn't I have the say in what lab it goes to.

Quote Quoting mitchnolan
    View Post
    Well this was my first time having something off my body sent to a lab. I guess I was sick that day at school when they taught us that lab work at the doctors office is billed separate. And no S#!t cbg I never said they were doing it for free but the doctors office should have told me there would be extra charges And if I am paying for it shouldn't I have the say in what lab it goes to.
    When you become a physician and self-treat, you can absolutely have a say where you choose to send your body parts.

Most doctors have relationships with one specific lab. They get to choose where to send the tests, not the patient.

(and just so you know in the future -- no one told me -- if you are diagnosed by ultrasound as being pregnant with twins, that counts as two diagnoses and they WILL charge you double even on that first visit!)

And please be respectful of those that try to answer your questions. None of us get paid to do so, unlike dr offices and labs **

Quote Quoting mitchnolan
    View Post
    Let's pretend that the drs office said to you "what lab do you want this sent to ?" What would your answer have been ? Do you have a lab that you prefer ? If you trust a dr to treat you, you should trust the lab the dr choses for your lab results.

I am assuming that you are young and have not dealt with drs offices and labs directly because your parents handled things like this. Or you were married and your spouse handled these type things. If you have to go into the hospital before you learn the basics on how and what you can be billed for, even when you pay cash, you are in for a shock. You also need to get health insurance ASAP. FYI health insurance does not pay for everything, even after the yearly deductibles and co/pays.

I suspect it never even occurred to the doctor that you wouldn't know that the lab would be billing separately. That's such standard practice he may well have though it goes without saying. I know I'm a bit dumbfounded to think that you didn't realize that.

cbg, very few drs have anything to do with billing now days. That is not what they went to school and were trained to do. They hire office personel to take care of these things. It is extremely difficult to believe that someone isn't aware of how this works. Unless the person is so young that they aren't aware of how some things in life work.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast