I am currently in Iraq, but will be in Texas in a few months.

Default Do you own your mailing address?

If you own the house that you live in, do you also own the mailing address? Or does the state/local government or federal government own it? And... if someone were to use your address for personal things such as collection evasion or utility bills, would that be illegal? Someone is using my address (i'm getting their mail) and I want to know what I can do about making it stop--and make sure that if it is illegal, that the person get punished for it.

Justin

Default Re: Do you own your mailing address?

This is somebody getting bills or collection notices to your address, right? And you have no proof that they initiated the mailing of these items to you. As Elvis sang, "Return to Sender, Address Unknown".

I am currently in Iraq, but will be in Texas in a few months.

I guess I was just wondering if there was more that I could do. Thanks though.

I wrote to USPS and found out that you can have certain names blocked from getting mail at your home for up to two years at a time. (So I did that)

I also wrote the collection company to let them know my wife's ex's new contact information, you know, just incase they didn't get it yet.

LOL.

Q: If you own the house that you live in, do you also own the mailing address?

A: No. Addresses can change overnight.

Q: Or does the state/local government or federal government own it?

A: Local governments have control over addresses.

Q: And... if someone were to use your address for personal things such as collection evasion or utility bills, would that be illegal?

A: I don't think giving a wrong address is illegal.

Q: Someone is using my address (i'm getting their mail) and I want to know what I can do about making it stop--and make sure that if it is illegal, that the person get punished for it.

A: I don't know how to make sure anybody gets punished for anything. Sure wish I did!

Quote Quoting jcarter526
    View Post
    If you own the house that you live in, do you also own the mailing address? Or does the state/local government or federal government own it? And... if someone were to use your address for personal things such as collection evasion or utility bills, would that be illegal? Someone is using my address (i'm getting their mail) and I want to know what I can do about making it stop--and make sure that if it is illegal, that the person get punished for it.

Justin
    Getting mail in your box that is designated to be accepted at your address by a name other than a person who is accepted to receive mail there (this does not include a family or friend that you approved to get a piece of mail at your address) is a very touchy situation. In most all cases the sender being a collection agency, lawyer, bank, hospital, even the court system et al is acting in good faith.

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 83 > 1702
    1702. Obstruction of correspondence

"Whoever takes any letter, postal card, or package out of any post office or any authorized depository for mail matter, or from any letter or mail carrier, or which has been in any post office or authorized depository, or in the custody of any letter or mail carrier, before it has been delivered to the person to whom it was directed, with design to obstruct the correspondence, or to pry into the business or secrets of another, or opens, secretes, embezzles, or destroys the same, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both."

http://assembler.law.cornell.edu/usc...2----000-.html

Any such unapproved mail to your address but not to your name must be put back into possession of the post office or UPS if they left a package on your porch or whoever like Fedex.

I simply write on the front of the letter "Not at this address return to sender." That is sufficient.

Just yesterday I got a letter from a collection agency but not to me. I always check out the return address to get the name of the company or whoever and more often that not they have a 1.800 # so i call them.

Even if you know the person it is addressed to or it is to someone on your street (but yet unapproved by you to use your address) you are under no legal obligation to give that mail to them and have not committed a crime if you don't. There's no proof that you did deliver it that way any anyhow so that could leave you on the hook if they lie and say you never did that and the "company" says they never got the letter or package back.

The only solution is "Not at this address return to sender."

Also I have been instructed by many of those that I called to report an incorrect delivery and after the conversation they would just say in some form or another to just toss it in the trash.

Don't do that.

If you do that means you destroyed/obstructed the mail before it was delivered to whom it was addressed. If the intended recipient can prove that you did that then you are on the hook not only with the post office but a possible civil suit from the person it was addressed to because since you did not put the letter back from whence it came they can say you are responsible for part of their financial woes compounding as time passed and you will end up paying their bills+.

Quote Quoting seniorjudge
    View Post
    Q: And... if someone were to use your address for personal things such as collection evasion or utility bills, would that be illegal?

A: I don't think giving a wrong address is illegal.
    Actually it is illegal if whoever can prove that it was done to evade rightful payment and that is part of theft of goods and or services.

1. Sponsored Links