Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Felony Charges Have Been Pending for Two Years With No Trial Scheduled

My question involves criminal law for the state of: GA

I was arrested on july 7th of 2014. With 10 felony charges of commercial gambling. The investigation was started in october 2013. Why havent we been to trial yet? Our lawyers just keep saying "the more time that passes the better."
    But they arent the ones with these charges hurting them. No one wants to hire you. I was lucky enough to get a job as an RN since ihad my license. After interviewing with 5 hospitals. However now the state of GA wont renew my license next year if i dont send them my disposition.

Why is court taking so long? They took everything from us. And no one seems to care.

Default Re: Felony Charges Have Been Pending for Two Years With No Trial Scheduled

Your lawyers have apparently been stipulating to continuances rather than demanding a speedy trial. If you prefer to try to force the state's hand, you can ask your lawyers to stop agreeing to continuances. But really -- is that what you want?

If for some reason the state still isn't ready for trial after two years, odds are that your lawyers are correct and that you should let a sleeping dog lie. Next year is still a good number of months away.

Default Re: Felony Charges Have Been Pending for Two Years With No Trial Scheduled

The judge sent a letter out about 6 months ago asking what the hold up is. Never heard anything.

After we recieved the discovery we contested a lot of stuff. Never heard from that either.

I just want to get on with my life. I am set to get my masters in healthcare but cannot due to this.

Well, then, you are free to tell your lawyers to insist upon the next available trial date, and roll the dice.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Well, then, you are free to tell your lawyers to insist upon the next available trial date, and roll the dice.
    Or to ask that the charges be dismissed for lack of prosecution.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Or to ask that the charges be dismissed for lack of prosecution.
    If the defendant demands a trial the prosecutor will have the option of dismissal, but as previously suggested the only way that the scheduling of a trial would take this long is if the defense had waived speedy trial rights.

We havent demanded a speedy trial. Our lawyers said he felt comfortable taking to trial but that you never know how a jury will feel or do. So we are waiting on plea bargaining. I just cant see what's taking so long. Especially when you pay a lawyer 50,000...

Quote Quoting sailence
    View Post
    We havent demanded a speedy trial. Our lawyers said he felt comfortable taking to trial but that you never know how a jury will feel or do. So we are waiting on plea bargaining. I just cant see what's taking so long. Especially when you pay a lawyer 50,000...
    Unless you tell your attorney you want to press forward, it's just going to keep sitting there. If you haven't been offered a plea after 2 years, I doubt one is forthcoming. Tell your attorney in no uncertain terms you are ready to take it to trial and get it over with. Your attorney is correct, juries are funny things and you could get smacked pretty hard. Until there is a trial, you will never know. It's possible they may offer a plea during trial but we have no way of knowing.

These charges are political. I think they did it for publicity to make it look like they were doing something. We might not have been doing everything like we should have. But we are truly innocent for what we were charged with. And what they supplied evidence for. Thats why i think they are just letting it go. Because its easier to do nothing than look bad.

Quote Quoting sailence
    View Post
    These charges are political. I think they did it for publicity to make it look like they were doing something. We might not have been doing everything like we should have. But we are truly innocent for what we were charged with. And what they supplied evidence for. Thats why i think they are just letting it go. Because its easier to do nothing than look bad.
    That's nice. It's not just them that are letting it go. You and your attorney need to start requesting trial dates. Tell the court you are ready for trial.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast