Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Will Having a Child Affect a Retiree's Social Security Benefits

OOPS!! Didn't see this one coming. I am 66 and drawing social security. My monthly is $1,150 before deducting for medicare. I have been divorced for a number of years and I have been in a serious relationship for 3 1/2 years. I just found out that my girlfriend is probably pregnant. I suppose I should be anything but happy but I am actually ecstatic. But at my age, I also have to be practical. Will the baby be eligible for any benefits? If so, how will this affect the amount I receive each month? Will that be added to my ss or will it be separate? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Will Having a Child Affect a Retiree's Social Security Benefits

Quote Quoting Dawnsdad
    View Post
    OOPS!! Didn't see this one coming. I am 66 and drawing social security. My monthly is $1,150 before deducting for medicare. I have been divorced for a number of years and I have been in a serious relationship for 3 1/2 years. I just found out that my girlfriend is probably pregnant. I suppose I should be anything but happy but I am actually ecstatic. But at my age, I also have to be practical. Will the baby be eligible for any benefits? If so, how will this affect the amount I receive each month? Will that be added to my ss or will it be separate? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Slow down there. You will have to wait for the baby to be born and for paternity to be established (unless you marry her before the birth and then you won't have to establish paternity).

Actually, I do want to marry her but due to a terrible previous marriage experience, she's somewhat reticent. If she says I am the father and nobody contests that, would there still have to be some sort of paternity test? Maybe I just don't understand what you mean by "paternity to be established".

Do you plan on signing the birth certificate ?

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    Do you plan on signing the birth certificate ?
    One signs an Acknowledgement of Paternity.
    Don't make me quote Monty Python at you.

Quote Quoting Dawnsdad
    View Post
    IF your paternity is established then yes, the child would receive dependent benefits. The child's benefit would go to the child's custodial parent. It would be completely separate from yours. You would still receive the same amount you are receiving now.

Is he SURE this child is his?

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    IF your paternity is established then yes, the child would receive dependent benefits. The child's benefit would go to the child's custodial parent. It would be completely separate from yours. You would still receive the same amount you are receiving now.
    Finally, an answer to the question I asked. Thank you

Quote Quoting Ohiogal
    View Post
    Is he SURE this child is his?
    I wondered the same thing.

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    I wondered the same thing.
    Oh, but she told him so!

1. Sponsored Links