Default Making a Right at a Light to Avoid the Turn Lane

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Georgia
    First off, I haven't actually gotten a ticket for this, I just want to know if it's technically legal to do.

In my area there is a right hand turn lane at an intersection to get onto the freeway. The freeway on-ramp is 2 lanes and has one of those traffic controller lights that alternates letting cars go. This causes the on ramp to back up during heavier traffic times. Because of this, the right hand turn lane to get onto the on-ramp starts to back up. People don't want to wait so they will continue down to the intersection and make a right (going around the cement triangle) to get onto the on-ramp. This actually makes the situation worse because now they are the ones blocking the turn lane from entering the on-ramp. So I'm thinking doing this is technically illegal, yet I see dozens of cars do it while I'm sitting in the turn lane waiting. So I figured I would come on here and ask around to see if I'm right. If I'm wrong and it's perfectly legal, then heck I'll do it too, he he.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Default Re: Making a Right at a Light to Avoid the Turn Lane

Can you provide a link on google maps to the intersection. I don't know what you are referring to when you speak of the cement triangle. It would make more sense to see the intersection.

Here is a screen cap of the birdseye view. The Blue arrow is the right hand turn lane people are supposed to use. The red arrow is what people are doing. You can also search for coords 33.927609, -84.175452 on google maps and do a 360 view to look at the intersection.

The red arrow is an illegal turn.

Quote Quoting puppybreath
    View Post
    The red arrow is an illegal turn.

I didnt answer because I really do not know so I'll ask you; why?

Unless there is an indication the lane used is a straight lane only or there is some sign indicating it is prohibited to turn right once beyond the triangle, what law would be involved that makes the turn illegal.

46-6-120 probably comes close. Staying to the right of the island is not " close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway."

The arrow is in the left turn lane, markings all the way up indicate that it's so. The blocks are marked and built in such a way as to discourage a right turn, the only lanes with no markings are straight through lanes. the lane closest to questioned area is not marked as a turn lane till beyond the ramp. Georgia follows convention with pavement markings in that lanes where turning or going straight through is allowed are marked with double headed arrows.

1. Sponsored Links