Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Birth Certificate Name is Not the Same Name on Social Security Card

when I was growing up my parents told me they didnt have my birth certificate but I had a social security card. to make a long story short I finally found my birth certificate when I got older but it was not the same name that I grew up as . I do have a social security card with the name I grew up with but its two diff names. Im not sure sure how I was put threw school without a birth certificate . and what really puzzles me is how my parents go me a social security card and number with no birth certificate. I thought it was a law.. I called social security and asked them how my parents got a social security card without the birth certificate and she said there is NO way they did. So I asked her if they keep all the proof and she said yes so I asked her to check to see if I had a birth certificate in my file so she put me on hold then came back to phone and said hmmm its not in your file it must have been miss placed so I said no it wasn't miss placed I just told you I dont have a birth certificate in the name I grew up with and all she said is well this is going to be messy. my question is how does this happen and how do I fix it.?

Default Re: Birth Certificate Name is Not the Same Name on Social Security Card

How old are you now and what is it you want to accomplish? Do you want your SS number changed to your birth name or your birth certificate name changed to your SS name?

And how different are we talking about? It's one thing if the birth certificate says Jane Anne Brown and the SS card says J. Anne Brown, or even Jane Mary Brown. But if the birth certificate says Jane Anne Brown and the SS card says Janette Elizabeth Browning, that's a different story.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    And how different are we talking about?
    I don't want to hijack but I have the exact same issue and have always wondered how to fix it, or if I even should. My BC says "John Middle Last". My SS says "J. Middle Last". If it was necessary to correct, I would want the SS to match the BC. Assume my answer would be the same as OPs so not technically a hijack.

You can probably go a long time without anybody knowing or caring about the discrepency. If you want it fixed, you'll have to bring the birth certificate along with some appropriate identification (Driver's License or passport) to an actual social securitiy office. You can not do this by mail.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    And how different are we talking about? It's one thing if the birth certificate says Jane Anne Brown and the SS card says J. Anne Brown, or even Jane Mary Brown. But if the birth certificate says Jane Anne Brown and the SS card says Janette Elizabeth Browning, that's a different story.
    my birth certificate says Dawn middle and each has a diff last name.

they both say Dawn and middle but both have diff last name.

each say Dawn middle but both have diff last name

I am 45 and now you need your birth certificate if you ever want to get married or a pass port ect and because social security gave my parents a card with no birth certificate im pretty much screwed...I have no clue where to start or what I have to do...I would like to use the name I grew up with but like I said Im not sure which one I have to change or if i even can.

You can change your surname on the birth certificate but it will likely require a court order to do so. Contact the dept. of Vital Record in your state and explain your situation and ask what is required. You can consult with an attorney in your area to help you get a court order. It shouldn't be very expensive if you have all your proofs that you are who you say you are and why you think the names do not match.

ok.I will try that but I really dont feel I should have to pay anything to fix this. Social security should have to pay for this since they didnt have a birth certificate before issuing a ss card. this should not be allowed. just shows how easy it is for someone to kidnap a kid and raise them as their own if its that easy to get a social security card for someone.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    You can change your surname on the birth certificate but it will likely require a court order to do so. Contact the dept. of Vital Record in your state and explain your situation and ask what is required. You can consult with an attorney in your area to help you get a court order. It shouldn't be very expensive if you have all your proofs that you are who you say you are and why you think the names do not match.
    ok.I will try that but I really dont feel I should have to pay anything to fix this. Social security should have to pay for this since they didnt have a birth certificate before issuing a ss card. this should not be allowed. just shows how easy it is for someone to kidnap a kid and raise them as their own if its that easy to get a social security card for someone..do I call the state I was born in or the state I was raised in?

Quote Quoting KBoy420
    View Post
    I don't want to hijack but I have the exact same issue and have always wondered how to fix it, or if I even should. My BC says "John Middle Last". My SS says "J. Middle Last". If it was necessary to correct, I would want the SS to match the BC. Assume my answer would be the same as OPs so not technically a hijack.
    we are talking a whole diff last name

Social security could change your name to your birth name without much trouble or any expense. But you want your birth certificate changed and you are 45 years old. That will take some expense on your part.

45 years ago you could get a SS number for a newborn without submitting a birth certificate. Times change and so do the laws.

It is possible that the name on your original birth certificate was changed after you were born and you weren't told about it. Parents don't always tell their children things like this, even once the child is grown. It is easier to say it is a mistake than to do into all the details of family secrets.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast