Default Confirming Paternity for a Parent Who is Deceased

My question involves paternity law for the State of: california

I am an adult at the age of twenty one, I lost my mother at fourteen and my father around sixteen or seventeen. He is on my birth certificate as the father, however I have recently gotten into contact with his other two children and there are clear visible signs that he is their father, skin tones and facial features that show obvious matches. I however show no resemblance to my father in any shape or form.
    I was never close to my father and quite honestly there is a very good chance I'm not even his. This would be much easier to figure out if my mother wasn't also deceased,
    How would I go about trying to get a DNA test done? Is it even possible? I know what hospital he died in and legally he is my father so I'm wondering if it's possible to have my DNA tested against what the hospital has on record.

Default Re: Establishing Paternity for a Parent That is Deceased

I'm confused - are you actually trying to disestablish paternity? If that's the case, you're out of options. You would not have standing to have the court order a test.

"I am an adult at the age of twenty one, I lost my mother at fourteen and my father around sixteen or seventeen. " Both of her parents are dead. She has met two half siblings from her father. She is stating legally he is her father but she wants to know how she can find out if he is also biologically her father and how to do it since he is dead.

Quote Quoting LadyLunar
    View Post
    My question involves paternity law for the State of: california

I am an adult at the age of twenty one, I lost my mother at fourteen and my father around sixteen or seventeen. He is on my birth certificate as the father, however I have recently gotten into contact with his other two children and there are clear visible signs that he is their father, skin tones and facial features that show obvious matches. I however show no resemblance to my father in any shape or form.
    I was never close to my father and quite honestly there is a very good chance I'm not even his. This would be much easier to figure out if my mother wasn't also deceased,
    How would I go about trying to get a DNA test done? Is it even possible? I know what hospital he died in and legally he is my father so I'm wondering if it's possible to have my DNA tested against what the hospital has on record.
    You do realize that some kids look more like one parent than the other right? I and my oldest brother look most like our dad. The other three brothers look more like our mom. Or like my stepdaughter looks exactly like her mom and for the longest time after she was born people did not think she was my ex's kid because he looked nothing like her but he had a test done and she is biologically and legally his.

I am not sure if you can get a DNA test done on someone who is deceased but just keep in mind some people do not look like one parent or either parent sometimes.

Quote Quoting qwaspolk69
    View Post
    "I am an adult at the age of twenty one, I lost my mother at fourteen and my father around sixteen or seventeen. " Both of her parents are dead. She has met two half siblings from her father. She is stating legally he is her father but she wants to know how she can find out if he is also biologically her father and how to do it since he is dead.
    The thread title speaks to establishing paternity. As we can see, paternity is already established, hence my post.

Default Re: Establishing Paternity for a Parent Who is Deceased

Quote Quoting LadyLunar
    View Post
    I know what hospital he died in and legally he is my father so I'm wondering if it's possible to have my DNA tested against what the hospital has on record.
    You can see whether any tissue samples were preserved by the hospital and, if so, whether you can access them to use for DNA testing. If your half-siblings are willing to cooperate, you can also consider a sibling DNA test, which is less accurate than a standard paternity test but may suffice for your needs.

None of this will change the fact that he's your legal father, or named on your birth certificate.

Default Re: Establishing Paternity for a Parent Who is Deceased

We had six children. No one in our family has blond hair. but out fifth child does. You can't make assumptions on looks, even with children have the same parents. Your mother or her side of the family or relatives of your father may be where you get your features.

Default Re: Confirming Paternity for a Parent Who is Deceased

I have 4 biological siblings. We all have different hair and eye colors. Black, brown, red and blonde hair. Dark brown, brown, hazel, and green eyes. Different heights and for the girls, different physiques. Yet we have the same mother and father.

1. Sponsored Links