Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Question from a scared stupid girl who made a big mistake

yesterday, i was caught shoplifting (tj maxx in new york). i did not take an item. i just took a button from that item.

i was reprimanded and was brought to a detention area. they asked me to sign a form, which i did. it had my address and cellphone number. i was not able to provide them with my social security, as i do not know(memorize) mine. no police were brought. i was there for 20 minutes, and they asked me to sign a paper. naturally i read the paper, and it said there that the course of action taken by the company is to drop charges. i asked what was going to happen to me, and the man said nothing will happen and that it will not be in my permanent record, but if i do it again i will be arrested. and i also asked about where the "form" i filled out will be filed, he said it will stay in the store.

my questions are:

1. since no police were present, is it safe to assume, i will not be charged by a crminal/civil case?

2. if so, then why did i have to fill out a form?

3. the man said nothing will happen to me, but will i receive a letter from them?

this is the stupidest and most embarrassing thing i have ever done, and vow never to do it again. please enlighten me.

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Question from a scared stupid girl who made a big mistake

my questions are:

1. since no police were present, is it safe to assume, i will not be charged by a crminal/civil case?No criminal charges were filed so no arrest or record of your actions except at Macy's. Now you will most likely get a Civil Demand letter requesting monies normally around $300.00 this is outside of court action and unrelated. If you fail to pay an even larger suit could be filed againist you

2. if so, then why did i have to fill out a form?The form is Store Loss Preventions record of incident and record of your actions in case criminal charges need be filed later or you tresspass (if banned)

3. the man said nothing will happen to me, but will i receive a letter from them?Yes thats the Civil Demand letter I mentioned

this is the stupidest and most embarrassing thing i have ever done, and vow never to do it again. please enlighten me.
    Hopefully thats true and you were lucky many stores have a policy to press charges on all thefts

Well when I was caught at Macys,
    policy was to prosecute everybody.

You got pretty lucky.

Don't ever do it again.

Exclamation Re: Question from a scared stupid girl who made a big mistake

You did get lucky. Don't steal things! Being convicted (if you do it again and are caught) of theft is not a good thing to have on your record. Future employers do not like thieves. You should keep that in mind.

panther10758 Guest

Quote Quoting anna marie
    View Post
    Well when I was caught at Macys,
    policy was to prosecute everybody.

You got pretty lucky.

Don't ever do it again.
    Macy's and Rob-May recently merged the Macys OP shoplited from may have used old Rob-May Policy that released lifters if under a certain dollar amount. Like with Sears/KMart changes sometimes come slow and OP got lucky. I am uncertain if Macy's policy is to prosecute everyone so you might be right, but as I said if this Macys was an old Rob-May hey may have actged within old Rob-May policy

Quote Quoting panther10758
    View Post
    my questions are:

3. the man said nothing will happen to me, but will i receive a letter from them?Yes thats the Civil Demand letter I mentioned
    Hopefully thats true and you were lucky many stores have a policy to press charges on all thefts
    btw, it was not in macy's, it was in tj maxx.

and i asked the person who detained me if i was going to get anything from them he said, nothing. and that no one else will know except the people involved. and that the records will remain in the store. will this mean i will still get a civil demand letter?

panther10758 Guest

Yes you will still get Civil Demand letter

ok. but i'm leaving for another country end of the week, is there anyway i can get the letter, and i can fix this before i go. i really want to, because i don't want to go back with more problems.is there any agency/person i can contact about this. i'm leaving sunday morning. and how much does one usually pay in cases like these.

thank you for all the help.

panther10758 Guest

How long will you be gone? Normally letter comes within a week or two of incident. From that point they will wait a period of time (unknown) for your reply before a second letter is sent. You should have plenty of time

my date of return is undetermined as of the moment. if things pan out for me there, i will be back in 6 months. if not then in four. and with that, i'm not even certain if i can still go back to where i used live. how do i reach them? i really want this settled before i leave. is there any other way?

i'm really really sorry to be so bothersome. i just don't want anymore problems when and if i do go back. i don't want this to get blown out of proportion due to my negligence in replying or something. is there anything else i can do?

thank you so much.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast