Angry If Your Roommate Extends a Lease Are You Bound to the Lease

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Pennsylvania
    My landlord says unless both of my roommate and myself agree to not renew our lease, we have to renew. I don't want to renew and I don't think it's fair that I have to live with someone I don't get along with. I live in an apartment complex. I have been paying all the bills and rent and she won't sign off on the lease. I don't want to renew the lease and have been told that we both have to agree to not renew. can I be forced to renew?

Default Re: Lease Renewal with a Roommate

Understand that the landlord will tell you anything if it convinces you to keep paying rent.

Generally, a lease expires on it's last date and unless what he's telling you is specified in the lease (that you signed and agreed to) you can simply pack up and move out, leaving your roommate behind for your landlord to deal with as a holdover tenant.

I think the landlord has it backward but I haven't read your lease so I can't be sure.

If you want, you can scan a copy to photobucket or some such and post it here.

Bottom line, though, this is nobody's fault but your own for getting into a roommate situation in the first place. They always seem to go bad.

Rent what you can afford on your own even if it's a two by nothing efficiency and if you can't afford one of those go back and live with your parents if they haven't turned your room into something else.

Default Re: If Your Roommate Extends a Lease Are You Bound to the Lease

Quote Quoting Linda Feaster
    View Post
    My landlord says unless both of my roommate and myself agree to not renew our lease, we have to renew.
    That is not likely to be correct, although as you have been told we aren't in a position to review the renewal provisions of your lease. Normally you can give proper notice that you're leaving at the end of the lease term, and it's up to your landlord whether or not to enter into a lease with only your roommate (or your roommate and a different co-tenant).

Holding over is different from lease renewal -- when you hold over, it means that your lease has ended but you do not leave. The landlord can either allow the tenancy to convert to a periodic tenancy (usually month-to-month) or give notice and commence eviction proceedings. You appear to be describing a full renewal of the lease (e.g., for another year) as opposed to the continuation of the lease on a month-to-month basis.

1. Sponsored Links