Default Can Elderly Tenants Break a Lease to Move to Assisted Living

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: FLORIDA

My parents are moving to assisted living. My father is no longer capable of just having my mother be the care giver and my mother has also finally admitted she can no longer do this on her own. The apt complex wants 2 months notice and 2 months rent penalty fee. The lease also gives the landlord the right to pursue full term of lease even after moving out with the 2 month notice and penalty fee paid.(This part is what scares us, since it would be over $5,000.00) I am asking for an accommodation form the company but have yet to get a response. My sister claims there is a law in Florida, that a friend told her about,(you have to love THOSE friends) that releases my parents from the lease due to having to move into an assisted living facility. I am unable to find any such provision, statute, or law allowing for this. I have made many phone calls to housing authorities, most cannot help or do not know of any law plus they almost always recommend an attorney. Does anyone know of any thing that can help us?? If not my parents will just stay the term of the lease and we will be done with it but it will cause a hardship since my dad need assisted living care. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Default Re: Elderly Parents Moving to Assisted Living

Quote Quoting azzabar
    View Post
    My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: FLORIDA

My parents are moving to assisted living. My father is no longer capable of just having my mother be the care giver and my mother has also finally admitted she can no longer do this on her own. The apt complex wants 2 months notice and 2 months rent penalty fee. The lease also gives the landlord the right to pursue full term of lease even after moving out with the 2 month notice and penalty fee paid.(This part is what scares us, since it would be over $5,000.00) I am asking for an accommodation form the company but have yet to get a response. My sister claims there is a law in Florida, that a friend told her about,(you have to love THOSE friends) that releases my parents from the lease due to having to move into an assisted living facility. I am unable to find any such provision, statute, or law allowing for this. I have made many phone calls to housing authorities, most cannot help or do not know of any law plus they almost always recommend an attorney. Does anyone know of any thing that can help us?? If not my parents will just stay the term of the lease and we will be done with it but it will cause a hardship since my dad need assisted living care. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
    You can likely hire a CNA or other type of home health aide to help your mother care for your father while you are waiting for the lease to finish out.

1. Sponsored Links