Default Return Fraud Help

Hi,
    I frequently buy items and I frequently return items, sometimes without receipt. Can I be incriminated for returning items too often? Every time I return I am asked for a picture ID and I wonder if they are tracking my returns. However returns are not illegal, right? Last week I returned an item that I recently exchanged for a lesser priced item, and the remainer of the balance (about $10) was charged on my Credit card. Now when I returned that item the store clerk refunded the whole amount onto my credit card (about $110). NOw I am worried but should I be? If the store decides to refund me in this way it is not my fault, right? Could I be charged with return fraud for this? I do not really know the definition of return fraud, but I do return a lot of things and sometimes I do not have the receipt. I however never shoplift and have never been conviced of it or anything else. Can someone be incriminated for simply returning items?

Default Frequent Returns

If you knowingly obtain a refund greater than the amount the store owes you, you could find yourself accused of fraud.

If you are returning items to a store so often that this is a concern to you, keep better track of your receipts.

but.... I did not ask the store to refund me an amount greater than I was owed. I simply returned an item and it was all refunded on my credit card, even though I had an exchange receipt. How can I be responsible for the store computer and the way it processes returns? What exactly constitutes return fraud? I assume it is when items are returned that were not originally purchased but stolen. Am I correct about that? Are there cases when people are incriminated for making too many returns? Most major chain stores do have return policies that allow returns without receipt. So it should not be illegal to do that, right?

Default Frequent Returns

If you knowingly accept a refund that is greater than you are entitled to receive, you can't blame that on the store or its computer - that's conduct by you.

As for your wanting to continue to return items without receipts, as I indicated, you do so at your own peril. If you can't be bothered to keep track of receipts for items you intend to return, and end up being accused of return fraud, your choice will make it much harder for you to defeat the charge.

There are receipts, right? So what's so hard about hanging on to them?

1. Sponsored Links