Default Collection of a Judgment Through an Order to Seize Property

My question involves court procedures for the state of: Michigan. I received an order to seize property in the mail. It did not come from my local court, it came in an envelope along with a letter from a certified court officer saying i had 2 days to call him and set up payment of my property will be seized. I have tried calling only to get a recording and no call back. My questions are 1. Do I have to open my door and let them in? The letter states they will take my furniture, TV's, computers, jewelry etc. 2. Do they need a search warrant if I refuse to let them in? 3. I live with my adult son (22 yrs old), can they take his belongings? can they take my minor daughters belongings, such as bed, dressers etc? I do not own any property, real estate, cars, nothing of value. All I really have is what is in my home. I am on SSI and rent. Can they force themselves in my home if I do not answer the door?

Default Re: Collection of a Judgment Through an Order to Seize Property

If you cannot afford to pay the judgment, I suggest consulting a bankruptcy lawyer this morning.

They have a court order from the case that resulted in the judgment being entered against you. You have a copy of the order, and can look at it to see what it allows.

Is this the order?

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    If you cannot afford to pay the judgment, I suggest consulting a bankruptcy lawyer this morning.

They have a court order from the case that resulted in the judgment being entered against you. You have a copy of the order, and can look at it to see wht it allows.

Is this the order?
    Someone who is on SSI should be judgment proof.

Quote Quoting boughtalemon
    View Post
    My question involves court procedures for the state of: Michigan. I received an order to seize property in the mail. It did not come from my local court, it came in an envelope along with a letter from a certified court officer saying i had 2 days to call him and set up payment of my property will be seized. I have tried calling only to get a recording and no call back. My questions are 1. Do I have to open my door and let them in? The letter states they will take my furniture, TV's, computers, jewelry etc. 2. Do they need a search warrant if I refuse to let them in? 3. I live with my adult son (22 yrs old), can they take his belongings? can they take my minor daughters belongings, such as bed, dressers etc? I do not own any property, real estate, cars, nothing of value. All I really have is what is in my home. I am on SSI and rent. Can they force themselves in my home if I do not answer the door?
    The questions you have to answer are:

Were you sued?

Is there a judgment against you that is on file with the court?

Call the court and find out.

If there is no lawsuit and judgment on file at the courthouse, then the letter is BS and you are free to ignore it.

1. Sponsored Links