Default What Does it Mean to Practice Medicine Without a License

First off, I will say that my friend suffers from some MH issues that causes him to have bouts of unwarranted paranoia and fear about things that are often highly illogical. This time, he's saying something that part of me thinks isn't something to worry about...... then again his anxiety about it is rubbing off on me, and there's part of me that wonders if he's on to something this time. Essentially, he was talking with a friend of his on a mental health forum that he's a member of. Not sure which one, but that doesn't make much difference. The person he was talking to was describing how they were diagnosed with an "anxiety disorder", due to their long term reaction to a traumatic event. My friend said something to the effect of that's not an anxiety disorder, you're understandably still coming to terms with what happened. He also said that he was glad he was going to a psychologist about it, because it seemed like a very difficult thing to go through.

The person he was talking to got irritated and said that he felt he was trivializing what he went through. He never claimed to be a doctor, he never offered any official information, he never claimed to be giving official medical advice, and he never claimed to have credentials he didn't. However, he is saying that he thinks the police may be after him for "practicing medicine without a license". I would find it somewhat difficult to believe that him simply stating his opinion on an issue would be "practicing medicine without a license", as he never claimed to be a doctor or have any credentials that he didn't, nor did he offer a diagnosis..... simply didn't agree with the fact that he received a diagnosis.

Default Re: Did My Friend Do Anything Illegal

Quote Quoting Steve418
    View Post
    First off, I will say that my friend suffers from some MH issues that causes him to have bouts of unwarranted paranoia and fear about things that are often highly illogical. This time, he's saying something that part of me thinks isn't something to worry about...... then again his anxiety about it is rubbing off on me, and there's part of me that wonders if he's on to something this time. Essentially, he was talking with a friend of his on a mental health forum that he's a member of. Not sure which one, but that doesn't make much difference. The person he was talking to was describing how they were diagnosed with an "anxiety disorder", due to their long term reaction to a traumatic event. My friend said something to the effect of that's not an anxiety disorder, you're understandably still coming to terms with what happened. He also said that he was glad he was going to a psychologist about it, because it seemed like a very difficult thing to go through.

The person he was talking to got irritated and said that he felt he was trivializing what he went through. He never claimed to be a doctor, he never offered any official information, he never claimed to be giving official medical advice, and he never claimed to have credentials he didn't. However, he is saying that he thinks the police may be after him for "practicing medicine without a license". I would find it somewhat difficult to believe that him simply stating his opinion on an issue would be "practicing medicine without a license", as he never claimed to be a doctor or have any credentials that he didn't, nor did he offer a diagnosis..... simply didn't agree with the fact that he received a diagnosis.
    I do not think that your friend is going to have legal problems over this, but it was very rude of him to trivialize/contradict a diagnosis from a doctor. I suggest that you advise him not to do that kind of thing in the future.

Why would you even think someone would have legal issues over this? People spew medical "advice" unsolicited all the time on forums. It was a forum for mental health. I am very sure they have disclaimers on their page as many forums do.

I was just concerned, because he seemed so anxious about it and was essentially up all night worried about the whole thing. I read the law, and it said something about "diagnosis" of something by a layperson being a crime, which was what made me worried for him. Unfortunately, he ended up actually asking a lawyer about it, who ended up saying it was nothing to worry about as people said here. Just the tone of the way the person got very angry with him, coupled with the fact that he saw something about it being a crime for a layperson to diagnose something and the penalties, which very much worried him..... and ended up worrying me, as well. When I read about the law on the subject, it confused me as to whether or not diagnose would refer to the statement in question, which apparently (luckily) it didn't. Plus, the person made some unusual comments regarding courts and the law on a different part of the forum, immediately after he had gotten so angry about it. That coupled with the fact that he had read something about it being a serious crime for a layperson to "diagnose" something caused him to become quite concerned. After reading that information, he just wasn't sure what would or could come of this...... luckily nothing, but he didn't know that at the time.

Quote Quoting Steve418
    View Post
    I was just concerned, because he seemed so anxious about it and was essentially up all night worried about the whole thing. I read the law, and it said something about "diagnosis" of something by a layperson being a crime, which was what made me worried for him. Unfortunately, he ended up actually asking a lawyer about it, who ended up saying it was nothing to worry about as people said here. Just the tone of the way the person got very angry with him, coupled with the fact that he saw something about it being a crime for a layperson to diagnose something and the penalties, which very much worried him..... and ended up worrying me, as well. When I read about the law on the subject, it confused me as to whether or not diagnose would refer to the statement in question, which apparently (luckily) it didn't. Plus, the person made some unusual comments regarding courts and the law on a different part of the forum, immediately after he had gotten so angry about it. That coupled with the fact that he had read something about it being a serious crime for a layperson to "diagnose" something caused him to become quite concerned. After reading that information, he just wasn't sure what would or could come of this...... luckily nothing, but he didn't know that at the time.
    https://www.google.com/#q=practicing...icense&tbm=nws

Examples.

No one on a forum can diagnose someone. He is not a medical professional. It is a forum which likely has a disclaimer about "See your doctor" or something. He is fine.

1. Sponsored Links