Default What Restrictions Can a School Impose on Free Speech

My question involves education law in the State of: Idaho and mostly federal

Most universities are weapon's free zones, suggestion that the 2nd amendment can be overridden there, as it is in court houses. Many also have small, designated areas far away from busy areas, where free speech is allowed.

So, my question is, to what extent are schools allowed to regulate free speech and other civil liberties to a greater extent than a city can?

I heard people give up some of their rights when they drive a car, so that officers can keep the roads safe. Often they can't search backpacks without probable cause. However, I heard schools may. I'm just curious if there are doctrines or court cases or federal laws that state which rights are impaired and which are not and to what extent.

Thank you.

Also, am I correct that private schools can do almost what they want, as long as they tell people when they apply?

Default Re: What Governs when Public Universities May Restrict Civil Liberties More Than a Ci

What you are, is incredibly annoying.

Default Re: What Governs when Public Universities May Restrict Civil Liberties More Than a Ci

With respect to weapons, there are hundreds of state and federal laws (which vary from state to state) that prohibit the possession of firearms on the grounds of educational institutions.

Similarly, each state has laws and is governed by numerous court decisions that allow public institutions to regulate the time, location and manner (but not content) of free speech activity on its grounds for the purpose of ensuring public health and safety; prevent the destruction of government property; prevent the disruption of government activities taking place on those grounds; and to ensure the free speech rights of others are not being interfered with.

It would take many if not hundreds of hours to research and provide you with answers to such a broadly posed question such as yours. Now that I'm retired I do provide this as a consulting service for $100 per hour with a five hour minimum. I take PayPal and offer a 20% discount to students with the appropriate ID. Please PM me with your billing details if you wish to proceed.

I'm getting the distinct vibe that Mikey is someone who has already been banned .. at least once.

Of course, one can only speculate.

That's OK. For $100 per hour I'll put up with him for as long as his money holds out

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    I'm getting the distinct vibe that Mikey is someone who has already been banned .. at least once.

Of course, one can only speculate.
    I wish I had the moderator's power to delete like I do on another site. LOL.

Why don't we all just stop responding to this guy and maybe he'll go away?

1. Sponsored Links