Default Does a Warrant in Debt Have a Statue of Limitation

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of:Virginia
    I had an old debt , 7 yrs ago. It doesn't even show on my credit report .It disappeared last month.
    This week I get a call from a debt collector asking for for 3,500.00. I told him that it's too old (passed the statue of limitation :VA) and I don't even remember it was this much. All I remember it was 1500 max.
    Anyhow he said that he filed a law suit against me in 2010 which I wasn't aware of and since I didn't show up they issued a warrant in debt against me in 2010. Checked the court records and he was right.
    My questions are
    - is there any statue of limitation on warrant in debt ?
    -Can he still block my bank account or garnish my paycheck? I only make 31K a year.
    - I can't afford paying the 3k now.
    - should I be worried ? I have a new born and in maternity leave now. I don't qualify for gov assistance .
    - if he calls again what should I say or do ?
    What's the next step for me?
    Please advice me

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Default Re: Does a Warrant in Debt Have a Statue of Limitation

Quote Quoting HenryIV
    View Post
    Double check the actual court docuements, make copies .......were you actually physically served properly at the time ? ( Not merely that you blew off a court appearance at the time )
    Henry's suggestion is your only chance. Judgements last a good long time in Virginia: twenty years and then can be renewed for another twenty. The credit report has NO BEARING on anything here.

I appreciate your help but I really don't want to go to court for this ( to prove if I was served properly )
    When I checked the court doc, it only showed the city and zip code and zip code was wrong . I never lived in that zipcode .
    Should I call the collection agency and settle it or start making a payment ?
    If i do that , is it going to show on my credit report?
    After the warrant in debt , do they take payments or they ask for full amount only?

Thank you

Quote Quoting Emasa
    View Post
    I appreciate your help but I really don't want to go to court for this ( to prove if I was served properly )
    When I checked the court doc, it only showed the city and zip code and zip code was wrong . I never lived in that zipcode .
    Should I call the collection agency and settle it or start making a payment ?
    If i do that , is it going to show on my credit report?
    After the warrant in debt , do they take payments or they ask for full amount only?

Thank you
    Right now, your credit report should be the least of your worries. VA law does allow wage garnishment. A lien is also attached to your real property such as a home and vehicle. However, not all judgment creditors will act to enforce a lien.

I know you don't want to go to court, but if you were not properly served, it might be possible for the judgment to be vacated. Contact a consumer attorney or legal aid to determine how much of your income can be garnished. More information can help you better determine your next steps.

1. Sponsored Links