Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Can You Sue for Defamation Over a True Statement

Quote Quoting Cocoabean
    View Post
    So, did the college publish your name regarding kissing or some other sexual encounter with a person who reported it, and you are now feeling bullied? Or maybe the school disclosed something else about you that you did not want the public to know? As a result your grades dropped, so you dropped your classes? Now you want to sue the school.

The board has been generous with you discussing all your hypothetical situations. Care to be more specific?
    Agree. We shouldn't be responding to any more of OP's hypotheticals because that's not what we do here. If OP ever deigns to tell us the details about his specific situation, that's when we should start responding again.

Quote Quoting Cocoabean
    View Post
    So, did the college publish your name regarding kissing or some other sexual encounter with a person who reported it, and you are now feeling bullied? Or maybe the school disclosed something else about you that you did not want the public to know? As a result your grades dropped, so you dropped your classes? Now you want to sue the school.

The board has been generous with you discussing all your hypothetical situations. Care to be more specific?
    I have not been accused of anything, except by speculative people in debates. I just suspect affirmative consent might be as polarizing as the abortion issue, or at least will get some people questioning why I care. It makes me heasitant to speak out. Many whistle blowers are heasitant to speak out. An employer might see me as letigious, though likely they are more repelled by people who sue for money.

Quote Quoting eerelations
    View Post
    Agree. We shouldn't be responding to any more of OP's hypotheticals because that's not what we do here. If OP ever deigns to tell us the details about his specific situation, that's when we should start responding again.
    I'm just someone worried about the direction the country is going in. The rules on college campuses will likely spread to the rest of society. In Britain, most households are head by single mothers because many men are afraid to date them given the hostile rules against men. Even here, men are abstaining from marriage.

Quote Quoting MikeSmith321
    View Post
    In Britain, most households are head by single mothers because many men are afraid to date them given the hostile rules against men. Even here, men are abstaining from marriage.
    Oh, please do elaborate on that part.

Y'know, just to appease the Brits on this forum.

Thx.

View Post
    In Britain, most households are head by single mothers because many men are afraid to date them given the hostile rules against men.

Part of the problem feeding your fears is that you seem to be getting a lot of inaccurate information. The supposed fact you presented above is just wrong. Official U.K. statistics state the following about families in the U.K. in 2014: there were 26.7 million households in the U.K., and of these 7.48 million were households of just one person, 12.5 million were married couple families, and just 1.82 million were families of dependent children with a single mother. In short, just 6.8% of all U.K. households with children were headed by a single mother. I think it is pretty obvious that 6.8% is nowhere near being “most” of the households as you assert. You can see the U.K. figures here: U.K. Families and Households

And your assertion that somehow the U.K. is worse off than the U.S. in this regard due to “hostile rules against men” is also wrong. The U.S. in 2015 had 11.4% of households headed by a single mother; thus, the U.S. has a greater portion of households headed by a single mother than the U.K. The U.S. statistics can be found on table FG10 from the U.S. Census Bureau here: Family Groups

You are a college student, so I hope you will learn how to do proper research to find well supported facts upon which to make your arguments rather than just spouting off things that are wrong (like your statement above) that you happened to stumble across on internet somewhere. There is a lot of bad information on the internet, and the challenge is finding the good reliable information out there and disregarding the rest.

Aw come on, Tax - I was waiting for him to tell me about my home country and fellow Brits!

View Post
    I have not been accused of anything, except by speculative people in debates. I just suspect affirmative consent might be as polarizing as the abortion issue, or at least will get some people questioning why I care. It makes me heasitant to speak out. Many whistle blowers are heasitant to speak out. An employer might see me as letigious, though likely they are more repelled by people who sue for money.

I'm just someone worried about the direction the country is going in. The rules on college campuses will likely spread to the rest of society. In Britain, most households are head by single mothers because many men are afraid to date them given the hostile rules against men. Even here, men are abstaining from marriage.
    There is a debate forum at the very bottom of the page - that is where you would post this hypothetical stuff.

Quote Quoting qwaspolk69
    View Post
    *Like*
    If people are able to give out people's home address, name, or other info to strike fear into them and others who would speak out on controversial issues, that could cause a chilling effect against others exercising their freedom of speech. In this case, it giving the truth about someone's identity ever a tort or illegal? I read that reporters voluntarily do not publish the names of rape victims, but does that mean they could do so if they wanted to?

Please do not resurrect three year old threads. If you want a discussion, please start your own thread.

Quote Quoting nailiyatsi
    View Post
    If people are able to give out audacity temp mail origin people's home address, name, or other info to strike fear into them and others who would speak out on controversial issues, that could cause a chilling effect against others exercising their freedom of speech. In this case, it giving the truth about someone's identity ever a tort or illegal? I read that reporters voluntarily do not publish the names of rape victims, but does that mean they could do so if they wanted to?
    it giving the truth about someone's identity ever a tort or illegal? I read that reporters voluntarily do not publish the names of rape victims, but does that mean they could do so if they wanted to?

This is a 3 year old thread. Please stop posting to it. If you have a question open your own thread.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast