Default Shoplifting Call from Cops

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Virginia

I received a call from a officer this morning asking if I was who I was I said yes. He said I need you to come to the precinct to talk to you about an incident in the middle of June at Wal-Mart. I answered what incident I was in no incident. He answered it's for shoplifting. I said who me?? He said well that's what we are trying to investigate. Can they do this I said I am out of town and he would be out also next week so he said he would call me back on July 20th so I can go see him. Should I be afraid I don't remember stealing or maybe my 9 year olds did. If so can they still do something. Do I even have to go to the precinct. If there was enough proof wouldn't they just arrest me. BTW how do they get my cell phone number.

Thank you

Default Re: Shoplifting Call from Cops

Quote Quoting valaw110
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: Virginia

I received a call from a officer this morning asking if I was who I was I said yes. He said I need you to come to the precinct to talk to you about an incident in the middle of June at Wal-Mart. I answered what incident I was in no incident. He answered it's for shoplifting. I said who me?? He said well that's what we are trying to investigate. Can they do this I said I am out of town and he would be out also next week so he said he would call me back on July 20th so I can go see him. Should I be afraid I don't remember stealing or maybe my 9 year olds did. If so can they still do something. Do I even have to go to the precinct. If there was enough proof wouldn't they just arrest me. BTW how do they get my cell phone number.

Thank you
    Its interesting that they had your cell phone number. You do not have to speak to the police at all if you choose not to do so. You also do not have to speak to the police without an attorney even if you are arrested on a warrant. I would probably, at least, contact a criminal law attorney in your local area for advice before you talk to the police.
    Do you regularly shop with anyone else who might have been involved with shoplifting who would give the police your number?

I don't know why you think it is difficuilt to get a cell phone number. Just because it isn't in a public phone book doesn't mean they can't figure it out. It might have been a hoax, it might not. Someone might have given your number rather than there's to Walmart's LP or whatever.

Still, it's almost never in your best interest to talk to police who think you have committed a crime. They will be friendly and up until the point they arrest you, don't have to warn you that they are just trying to get you to incriminate yourself.

@llworking I do regularly shop there. And no I don't go with no one else but my young daughters. If there was proof wouldn't they just come to my door and arrest me.

@flyingron I just thought it was a surprise they would have it. Maybe my name and address because of my vehicle plates, but my cell #. So then when he calls me on July 20th I should just say I am not going to speak to you at the precinct?

Quote Quoting valaw110
    View Post
    @llworking I do regularly shop there. And no I don't go with no one else but my young daughters. If there was proof wouldn't they just come to my door and arrest me.

@flyingron I just thought it was a surprise they would have it. Maybe my name and address because of my vehicle plates, but my cell #. So then when he calls me on July 20th I should just say I am not going to speak to you at the precinct?
    Go find a lawyer who does a free consultation and ask him or her what you should do. No you don't have to talk to the police at all if you don't want to.

I would be calling a lawyer for some advice.

Are there people at the store that might know you?

While it is POSSIBLE to track someone down through a name (by contacting friends and family if they are known), finding a cell phone number is a very difficult thing to do - unless through aforementioned friends and family. I suspect that if the police were poking around trying to get a hold of you, someone would have called to alert you.

This is either an unusually low activity police department with the time to track down un-contacted shoplifters, this is a hoax, or there is more to this. You might want to call the precinct in question and ask to speak to the officer that called you just to verify that he did, indeed, call you.

And, yes, consult an attorney before speaking to him.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links