Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: How Do I Sue My School to Repeal a Policy That Chills Civil Libertiesl

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    Show me where a college has differentiated between "legal rape" and "illegal rape". I'll wait.

Please show us something - anything, Mikey - to support your claim here. (The reality is that it's all too often the exact opposite - rape and sexual assault cases are typically far more difficult to "win" than people realize).

You haven't actually looked into the real facts behind rape at all, have you?

Oh, if they're real, they'll be there. Find the, please.
    I really wish there was a "like' button.

Default Re: How Do I Sue My School to Repeal a Policy That Chills Civil Libertiesl

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    College is not - or SHOULD not - be about sex. It is about education. If the OP wants to party and hook up, perhaps he ought to re-think his career options.
    I agree with your first sentence and disagree with the second one. Schools should stay out of people's sex lives unless something criminal happens.

A college can establish rules, but they do not have the impact of law. You have a choice if you do not like the rules: follow them, or, leave. Yeah, it might suck and it might not be easy, but if you run afoul of the rules you could find yourself punished by them.
    You are saying public universities can make students waive any or all constitutional rights as a condition of attendance?

This is NOT true at all! If you study the psychology of rape for more than 5 minutes, you will understand that many victims will not report the crime for some time. Why? Well, the short version includes a discussion of shame, fear, embarrassment, ad nauseum. I have known victims to wait weeks and months before reporting, and others do not report at all until something happens that compels them to come forward. It's rarely some effort to mess with a guy years later, but finally coming to terms with what happened to them and coming forward.

Understand that a rape victim has to suffer through physical exams, numerous interviews by officers, investigators, prosecutors, defense investigators, and on the stand. They have to repeat their embarrassing and traumatic tale repeatedly. This thought, by itself, discourages many victims from coming forward.

And, the rate of successful prosecutions for rape claims is very low. Even good cases can be difficult to prove, and this is a further deterrent to coming forward.
    None of that is true on college campuses. Defendants are not allowed to cross examine their accusers. The school can go after the guy even if the woman does not wish to answer many questions. The process is very private, and the accuser almost always wins. If a school does not expel an accused guy, they can be successfully sued for millions. Gloria Steinem and others will rush in to sue them on a percentage basis. Given these facts, there is no excuse for a woman not to report the incidence to the school right away. I'm not talking about the police.

So basically we don't have any constitutional rights at all. The government can tax us and then give the money back with strings attached that organizations must have such rules. If they don't, they don't get paid and don't survive. And no one may challenge the laws since it is the organization that chose to take the money, not the government passing the law directly. And we don't have standing to sue against the original taxation.

There is no reason this will stop at just schools. Even private Harvard can't afford to fight back. Many private companies are subsidized by the government. The federal government is succeeding at taking away all our civil liberties indirectly in a way that bipasses judicial review. Am I the only person who cares about this?

Quote Quoting qwaspolk69
    View Post
    ....and less on why you cannot get women to have sex with you, you might not be failing.
    I can get women to have sex with me. What I'm complaining about is that if I do sleep with them, they will have total power over me for years to come and can have my degree revoked at any time. That is so unfair. Why should I have to give that much power to someone as a condition to attending school? And that is on top of the requirement that I follow the school's stupid rules.

[quote]
    I am not wasting my time to provide you the ACTUAL statistics on rape and sexual assault. But your "99%" is waaaay off base.
    [quote]
    Show me one instance of a female college student getting convicted of sexually assaulting a male college student, both under age 25. The 1% of females found responsible are lesbians accused by lesbians.

This quote: "Tell that to rape victims. If you think people judge people, tell rape victims to judge guys better. You are victim blaming. How can a guy tell, especially what she will be like a year later?"

Completely contradicts this quote: "Given how guaranteed it is that women win, I think a 24 hour rule is very reasonable. The only excuse to wait longer is if you are afraid you won't be believed, which no longer is the case." You just victim blamed. In all of that.
    Not a contradiction. I was attacking the "don't victim blame" crowd. I do hold victims accountable to report in a timely manner when the school does not allow cross examination of them, keeps everything private, and almost guarantees they will win. The victims know this. There is little reason not to report it. What about false accusations? False accusations are usually long afterward, when people get in arguments about something else.

As stated you have no clue about the psychological impacts of rape or sexual assault on a victim of ANY gender. Rape is not gender specific. How many times must that be said to society? When you sit there and have to help a rape or assault victim and then tell them that their case was unfounded due to lack of evidence or for any number of reasons, and see the crushing defeat in their eyes, then you can come back and say something about how they react.
    That is with police and the guilty beyond a reasonable doubt standard. None of that applies in college campus tribunals.

This is what I think you are so upset about this for: You tried to come on to or have sex with some female, she rejected you and maybe she even reported you and now you want to find a way out of it. Or you wonder why women constantly turn you down for dates or sex. ALL of your posts are the reason why no woman wants you. Deal with it.
    Proof that your judgement is off. I have never came on to a woman on campus. I've avoided dating so that I may avoid having my life regulated. I'm upset I have to turn down women I like for fear of them being able to control me years later.

Why do you assume that all accusations are true? Do you not see how assuming that gives women tremendous power to control men? That is what this movement is really about. It is not about ending rape, which is rare. It is about giving women the power to control men. They can silence anyone who speaks out, just by accusing him of an old rape that they never reported until after he becomes politically active.

Quote Quoting MikeSmith321
    View Post
    I agree with your first sentence and disagree with the second one. Schools should stay out of people's sex lives unless something criminal happens.
    Schools also have a legal and ethical obligation to provide a safe learning environment for students. That includes being safe from unwanted sexual advances, assaults of all stripes, violence, threats of violence, cheating, etc. Schools can act on non-criminal activity and they always have. Primary and secondary schools had the right to discipline you for acting out in non-criminal matters when you were younger, and colleges have the same rights - as well they should.

You are saying public universities can make students waive any or all constitutional rights as a condition of attendance?
    What Constitutional right do you feel has been waived by establishing rules of conduct? You do not have a First Amendment right to harass other people, have sex with them, cajole an impaired person to have sex (which is RAPE in many/most states), etc. The only "right" that I see regularly infringed upon at public universities these days is political speech ... but, that's a separate topic.

None of that is true on college campuses. Defendants are not allowed to cross examine their accusers. The school can go after the guy even if the woman does not wish to answer many questions. The process is very private, and the accuser almost always wins. If a school does not expel an accused guy, they can be successfully sued for millions. Gloria Steinem and others will rush in to sue them on a percentage basis. Given these facts, there is no excuse for a woman not to report the incidence to the school right away. I'm not talking about the police.
    Well, I work on a college campus. And, yes, you are correct that is some proceedings on some campuses, there is little or no right to cross examine an accuser in an administrative proceeding. But, in all the ones I am aware of there is a process to appeal any decision.

As for actions against "the guy" I can say that actually penalizing an accuser is far less common than you might think. Yes, there are a few apparently egregious examples out there where some guy appeared to have gotten railroaded, but it is rare. In truth, there is no way to know the actual percentages because universities are not going to publish much info about these hearings. And if the woman/victim wants to remain anonymous and avoid scrutiny, she's NOT going to be suing the university because that opens the whole thing up to PUBLIC scrutiny and compelled depositions and countersuits.

But, each incident must be considered on its merits. Without a specific example or facts & details to discuss, it's all supposition and you are freaking out about nothing.

So basically we don't have any constitutional rights at all.
    I don't know what makes you say that.

The government can tax us and then give the money back with strings attached that organizations must have such rules. If they don't, they don't get paid and don't survive. And no one may challenge the laws since it is the organization that chose to take the money, not the government passing the law directly. And we don't have standing to sue against the original taxation.
    The government taxes us to provide a great many programs many of us do not agree with or like. There are strings attached to most federal and state government funding that is passed down to colleges, universities, cities, counties and special districts. That's how they cajole these organizations into "voluntary" compliance. One can argue whether this is right or wrong, but, it has been the way of the world for as long as I can recall such things (and the first time I recall this was in the 1970s when the feds tied 55 MPH speed limits to highway funds).

There is no reason this will stop at just schools. Even private Harvard can't afford to fight back. Many private companies are subsidized by the government. The federal government is succeeding at taking away all our civil liberties indirectly in a way that bipasses judicial review. Am I the only person who cares about this?
    There are a great many college or university policies to take issue with - I know of a few at my own University, but, a policy that slaps some cold water on sexual activity is not one that is likely to gain much traction outside of a frat house.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    Schools also have a legal and ethical obligation to provide a safe learning environment for students. That includes being safe from unwanted sexual advances, assaults of all stripes, violence, threats of violence, cheating, etc. Schools can act on non-criminal activity and they always have. Primary and secondary schools had the right to discipline you for acting out in non-criminal matters when you were younger, and colleges have the same rights - as well they should.
    Affirmative consent does not make college safer. I'm not defending all those other illegal actions you just mentioned.

What Constitutional right do you feel has been waived by establishing rules of conduct? You do not have a First Amendment right to harass other people, have sex with them, cajole an impaired person to have sex (which is RAPE in many/most states), etc. The only "right" that I see regularly infringed upon at public universities these days is political speech ... but, that's a separate topic.
    I'm not defending harassment and all that. I'm attacking affirmative consent, which states that people must ask for permission before every single touch during a sexual interaction. If she every complains years later that one of his touches was not welcome, the school will ask whether he asked permission for that one. The way they ask is asking him to detail the event. If he says he asked 50 times, they will find that unbelievable and convict him based on his lying. If he admits he did not ask that one time but that she seemed willing, they will say he should have asked. Convicted. If he says what happened was not severe enough to impair her education, they will say that touching without consent is sexual assault, which is severe. Convicted. Degree taken. You actually defend this?

Well, I work on a college campus. And, yes, you are correct that is some proceedings on some campuses, there is little or no right to cross examine an accuser in an administrative proceeding. But, in all the ones I am aware of there is a process to appeal any decision.
    They can't appeal the truth of the what happened. They can only appeal on the severity of penalty at my school. I also think the appeal would be just as biased as the conduct process, since the school does not want to be sued by her.

As for actions against "the guy" I can say that actually penalizing an accuser is far less common than you might think.
    Only if the guy lies and says he asked for permission before each and every touch. I should not have to lie to not be abused by the system.

Yes, there are a few apparently egregious examples out there where some guy appeared to have gotten railroaded, but it is rare. In truth, there is no way to know the actual percentages because universities are not going to publish much info about these hearings.
    How do you know they are rare, when you admit they are secret?

And if the woman/victim wants to remain anonymous and avoid scrutiny, she's NOT going to be suing the university because that opens the whole thing up to PUBLIC scrutiny and compelled depositions and countersuits.
    She can make millions of dollars and have famous Gloria Steinem represent her, probably on straight percentage.

But, each incident must be considered on its merits. Without a specific example or facts & details to discuss, it's all supposition and you are freaking out about nothing.
    All I have to go off of is news articles. Reports saying students are suspended or expelled merely for failing to get explicit permission before a given touch. Students winning cases alleged to have happened months or years ago. Schools finding a student responsible because the accuser's story was merely plausible.

The government taxes us to provide a great many programs many of us do not agree with or like. There are strings attached to most federal and state government funding that is passed down to colleges, universities, cities, counties and special districts. That's how they cajole these organizations into "voluntary" compliance. One can argue whether this is right or wrong, but, it has been the way of the world for as long as I can recall such things (and the first time I recall this was in the 1970s when the feds tied 55 MPH speed limits to highway funds).
    The difference is those policies did not impair civil liberties, or at least not without a great public need for safety. These school rules do not help with safety. They simply impair freedom of expression with no benefit to student safety.

There are a great many college or university policies to take issue with - I know of a few at my own University, but, a policy that slaps some cold water on sexual activity is not one that is likely to gain much traction outside of a frat house.[/QUOTE]

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post

There are a great many college or university policies to take issue with - I know of a few at my own University, but, a policy that slaps some cold water on sexual activity is not one that is likely to gain much traction outside of a frat house.
    Affirmative consent does far worse than slap cold water on students. Students will have sex anyway. It just means that men now must obey their ex's. If they get angry seeing him date someone else soon after a break up, or merely break up with her, she can accuse him of rape. Do you see the power of coercion this gives women over men? The school claims it wants to end coercion, yet it gives one group the power to coerce the other. If we had a 72 hour rule, it would leave victims the power to expel their rapists, but would not give women ongoing power to control their ex's. And we all know that if a man accuses a woman, the administrators will say his story was a hair less credible than hers. This is about female superiority, not about ending rape.

View Post
    Affirmative consent does not make college safer. I'm not defending all those other illegal actions you just mentioned.
    I never said it does. But, it is how the universities are seeking to mitigate the perceived harm that is done. Only through pressure from donors, alumni, and even legislators will this change. Unless and until state legislators add some sort of statutory language absolving universities of liability in sex assaults that occur under their watch you can expect all manner of rules to remain in place to effectively stifle sexual activity.

If she every complains years later that one of his touches was not welcome, the school will ask whether he asked permission for that one. The way they ask is asking him to detail the event. If he says he asked 50 times, they will find that unbelievable and convict him based on his lying. If he admits he did not ask that one time but that she seemed willing, they will say he should have asked. Convicted. If he says what happened was not severe enough to impair her education, they will say that touching without consent is sexual assault, which is severe. Convicted. Degree taken. You actually defend this?
    You throw out a lot of "if" statements (as in, hypothetical) without any facts. We cannot possibly comment on "what if" scenarios because they lack any particular fact set to discuss. But, I suspect that it is not so easy to arbitrarily and retroactively withdraw a conferred degree based upon hearsay as you seem to think it is.

How do you know they are rare, when you admit they are secret?
    A grad school research project into the identification and prosecution of sexual assaults which included research from universities. But, no, there is no way to know the actual and true numbers since these matters are, largely, a star chamber affair. But, when you look at the resulting litigation of findings against alleged offenders claiming to have been wrongly found liable, there is a serious lack of such suits. And in speaking with my own university's people responsible for these matters, I have found that action can rarely be taken against an alleged offender simply because there IS a lack of "evidence."

She can make millions of dollars and have famous Gloria Steinem represent her, probably on straight percentage.
    Uh, even a civil suit must have proof. It's a lesser burden than required for a criminal prosecution, but proof is still required in a court. Not to mention many of these high profile attorneys only show up when there is a point to be made, or the case is already in the headlines.

All I have to go off of is news articles. Reports saying students are suspended or expelled merely for failing to get explicit permission before a given touch. Students winning cases alleged to have happened months or years ago. Schools finding a student responsible because the accuser's story was merely plausible.
    And the news media often has to sacrifice details and depth for time and print space. Rarely are ALL the details published. I have seen and read about a great many criminal and civil actions that I have first-hand of knowledge of presented in the media in such a way as to present a flawed interpretation. In the case of some publications and media outlets, these misleading details are intentional. In others, it is simply a matter of expediency and space ... then they move on to the next story.

The difference is those policies did not impair civil liberties, or at least not without a great public need for safety. These school rules do not help with safety. They simply impair freedom of expression with no benefit to student safety.
    I recall at the time that there was a hue and cry about how restricting the maximum speed DID, in fact, curtail civil liberties and one's right to travel!

And YOU claim that these rules do not help with public safety, but, I suspect that the colleges and universities will argue otherwise. And, if they present greater awareness to the frat boy mentality that still results in luring in girls and plying them with liquor in order to bed them, great! In virtually every state having sex with someone who is impaired is a crime - we call it RAPE. If these rules help to highlight this distinction and make some of today's more morally flexible (or bankrupt) youth think twice before dropping their trousers, great!

Affirmative consent does far worse than slap cold water on students. Students will have sex anyway.
    Then they do so at their own risk knowing that their activity can come back to bite them.

It just means that men now must obey their ex's. If they get angry seeing him date someone else soon after a break up, or merely break up with her, she can accuse him of rape.
    An accusation without proof is impossible to pursue, criminally. Whether there is enough proof to proceed to an administrative hearing is a different matter.

Do you see the power of coercion this gives women over men?
    I've heard THAT claim my entire life! Some groups decried enhanced domestic violence laws for the same reasons you argue here. The law has not changed. There must still exist probable cause to make an arrest and proof beyond a REASONABLE DOUBT to convict.

While the law has changed how reporting of sexual assaults is done, and has encouraged universities to enact new procedures to report and curtail such aggression, they are not simply believing the woman straight up. At least that is not a universal practice by any means.

The school claims it wants to end coercion, yet it gives one group the power to coerce the other. If we had a 72 hour rule, it would leave victims the power to expel their rapists, but would not give women ongoing power to control their ex's. And we all know that if a man accuses a woman, the administrators will say his story was a hair less credible than hers. This is about female superiority, not about ending rape.
    You are NEVER going to get a 72 hour rule. It won't happen. The psychology of sexual assault can prevent reporting for a long time after the assault. There are victims of sexual assault and, in particular, child abuse that may keep quiet for many years. And when they do step forward, even if prosecution or a civil suit is remotely possible, they do not automatically prevail simply because they made the complaint. Granted, colleges do not have to adhere to the same legal standards, but neither do they want to be sued for violating due process rights of someone. Hence the reason that many such complaints result in no action.

Clearly nothing will change your opinion on this issue. So, about all we can due is suggest that you become the aggrieved party in some action by your college and then gather your pennies and sue. Until then, all you can really do is speak to the trustees of your college or university, speak to the alumni and donors, and to your state legislators about what you think and see if they might be moved. As I said previously, I cannot imagine you will get much traction on the issue as it is not politically palatable to be seen as being soft on sexual assault or coercion. But, you can do as others have and lobby your heart out.

In the meantime, if you are so terrified of running afoul of these policies, you can always keep it in your pants, actually DATE people, and then find a nice girl you want to spend your life with and marry her. But, I suppose that's too old fashioned. Though that worked for most in my generation and we didn't face these tend to face these kinds of claims.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

View Post
    It is about giving women the power to control men. They can silence anyone who speaks out, just by accusing him of an old rape that they never reported until after he becomes politically active.
    Oh please.

[QUOTE=MikeSmith321;961961]I agree with your first sentence and disagree with the second one. Schools should stay out of people's sex lives unless something criminal happens.

So basically we don't have any constitutional rights at all. The government can tax us and then give the money back with strings attached that organizations must have such rules. If they don't, they don't get paid and don't survive. And no one may challenge the laws since it is the organization that chose to take the money, not the government passing the law directly. And we don't have standing to sue against the original taxation.

I can get women to have sex with me. What I'm complaining about is that if I do sleep with them, they will have total power over me for years to come and can have my degree revoked at any time. That is so unfair. Why should I have to give that much power to someone as a condition to attending school? And that is on top of the requirement that I follow the school's stupid rules.

[quote]
    I am not wasting my time to provide you the ACTUAL statistics on rape and sexual assault. But your "99%" is waaaay off base.
    Show me one instance of a female college student getting convicted of sexually assaulting a male college student, both under age 25. The 1% of females found responsible are lesbians accused by lesbians.

Not a contradiction. I was attacking the "don't victim blame" crowd. I do hold victims accountable to report in a timely manner when the school does not allow cross examination of them, keeps everything private, and almost guarantees they will win. The victims know this. There is little reason not to report it. What about false accusations? False accusations are usually long afterward, when people get in arguments about something else.

That is with police and the guilty beyond a reasonable doubt standard. None of that applies in college campus tribunals.

Proof that your judgement is off. I have never came on to a woman on campus. I've avoided dating so that I may avoid having my life regulated. I'm upset I have to turn down women I like for fear of them being able to control me years later.

Why do you assume that all accusations are true? Do you not see how assuming that gives women tremendous power to control men? That is what this movement is really about. It is not about ending rape, which is rare. It is about giving women the power to control men. They can silence anyone who speaks out, just by accusing him of an old rape that they never reported until after he becomes politically active.
    WHERE did you get your information and statistics? PLEASE share with us where you are getting this biased, bullshit, FALSE information.

No anyone who you have sex with does NOT have control over you for the rest of your life. Nor can they get your degree "revoked." How in the world do you get a degree "revoked?" They cannot just take your degree back if you successfully completed all your classes and there is no evidenced of plagiarism or anything else violating the rules going on.

What the hell does this mean: "That is with police and the guilty beyond a reasonable doubt standard. None of that applies in college campus tribunals."

You have yet again contradicted yourself: "Proof that your judgement is off. I have never came on to a woman on campus. I've avoided dating so that I may avoid having my life regulated. I'm upset I have to turn down women I like for fear of them being able to control me years later." Yet you said you have no problems getting women to have sex with you. So which is it? Lol - I'm pretty sure you are not the one turning down women...based on all your comments. I very much can assess based on what you posted that you consistently get turned down, it upsets you, and you want to find a way to punish those people who turned you down.

All accusations must be investigated and taken seriously regardless of your opinion. The majority of accusations are true - from women AND men. False accusations and reports are rare.

"Do you not see how assuming that gives women tremendous power to control men? That is what this movement is really about. It is not about ending rape, which is rare. It is about giving women the power to control men. They can silence anyone who speaks out, just by accusing him of an old rape that they never reported until after he becomes politically active. "

This statement right here proves my point about you exactly. Rape and sexual assault are NOT gender specific crimes. Men are raped by women. Women are raped by men. Men are raped by men. Women are raped by women. ANYONE can rape and ANYONE can be raped.

Politically active? What the hell does that mean? What movement are you talking about in particular?

You are quite possibly the most ignorant person I have ever had a conversation with. You need to educate yourself on legitimate stats and facts. Not myths and half truths.

The bottomline is you get rejected by women and you are mad at them so you want to punish them. End of story. Get some therapy.

Quote Quoting qwaspolk69
    View Post
    You are quite possibly the most ignorant person I have ever had a conversation with. You need to educate yourself on legitimate stats and facts. Not myths and half truths.

The bottomline is you get rejected by women and you are mad at them so you want to punish them. End of story. Get some therapy.
    Co-signed.

Actually he reminds me - very much - of the guy on another forum who wanted to make a binding contract that wimminfolk would sign before gettin' it on, ensuring that he'd never be liable for child support if one of his teeny tiny swimmers happened to find its way to some unsuspecting egg by mistake. Maybe it took a wrong turn. Or something. I dunno.

Anyway. Despite his protestations to the contrary it was clear to everyone else that he had nothing to fear at all, given that such a situation was so astronomically unlikely to begin with.

And being a victim of sexual assault by an unknown person while in college, I find much of Mikey's conjecture to be appalling! No personal responsibility but wants "free expression" with no consequences.

Honestly, here's the advice I have been giving my son: Know your partner well enough before getting physical to have some idea as to whether he/she is spiteful, manipulative, etc so those "ifs" are taken out of the way before you even kiss her the first time! If you chose to become physical, you are taking chances on a lot of "ifs" -- not just the fact that he/she might claim assault/rape without consent. You are taking chances on diseases, pregnancy (No form of birth control is 100% effective except abstaining), etc. Yes, your future could be tied to this person for the rest of your life in one way or another. Be mature enough to accept the responsibility that sexual activity entails. But then I guess you could call me an 'Old fogey" too.

And in the end I would be willing to bet Mikey everything I have that there are a whole lot more unreported assaults than something reported where someone is lying/being spiteful. While I agree with him that it could happen, no one wants to out themselves as a victim and yes, it can take years (just hit my 27th anniversary on July 4th) to work through the consequences someone else forced on me through NO fault of my own. Would this "rule" have helped in my situation? No! But if it gets both people to think about their actions, I don't see the problem... And yes, I have a daughter who goes to a university with some of the toughest policies/honor code/rules in the country and on that goes to a university with on real rules. They chose their universities knowing those rules. Maybe you just ought to pursue an online degree!

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    Co-signed.

Actually he reminds me - very much - of the guy on another forum who wanted to make a binding contract that wimminfolk would sign before gettin' it on, ensuring that he'd never be liable for child support if one of his teeny tiny swimmers happened to find its way to some unsuspecting egg by mistake. Maybe it took a wrong turn. Or something. I dunno.

Anyway. Despite his protestations to the contrary it was clear to everyone else that he had nothing to fear at all, given that such a situation was so astronomically unlikely to begin with.
    *Like button*

1. Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast